Fireplace Insert ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pete97

Aug 29, 2006
Pittsburgh Pa
I am buying a new house that has a masonry fireplace in it. I want to add a wood burning fireplace insert in it to heat the house. Any suggestions? I am new to inserts but not stoves. It doesn't have to have glass doors but I can't seem to find any new ones that don't have glass in them. Also, a lot of new ones show to load the logs in side ways instead of front to back. I think they burn better front to back. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Pete

Thanks. There are just so many to choose from. No idea who to go with. I am going to take some measurements today. Any recommendations on brands???

I would say a $1000-2000

Hard to recommend without knowing the size that will fit and a lot more details about the fireplace location, the space and the house to be heated. Knowing the your general location would also help. Can you add it to your profile?

The house is 2300 square feet 2 story. The fire place is in the Family room. I want to try and heat as much of the house as I can with the insert. I will measure it today. Also, the house was built in 1986. Pete

Great, thanks Pete. In Pittsburgh, it sounds like you will be looking for a 3 cu ft insert if it will fit. Once you have the FP dimen., if you can also post a simple sketch of the floor plan that includes the fireplace location, that'd be great. A picture of the fireplace would also be beneficial in case there are complications or possible alternatives like a hearth mount stove that you want to consider.

PS: Budget sounds pretty slim. Most 3 cu ft inserts start at around $2K, and there will probably be the expense of lining the flue. But the tax credit will help take some of the bite out of this.

I measured it today. These measurements are close. It is 27" high, 27" wide in the front and 25" wide in the rear. Does this help. The hearth is 18" deep. Pete

That's a narrow fireplace. Might be better to do a freestanding hearth stove if the goal is to maximize heat. Did you take any pictures? I'm wondering if this is a prefab. Does it have glass doors?

wsi, welcome. Please start a new thread with answers to the same questions asked of Pete. Each home and installation is unique.

It has glass doors but i am pretty sure it isn't a pre fab. The home was custom built. How can i check to see if it was.

It looks like the Regency I2400 Insert will work. Anyone have experience with it???

I could be off base here but, I have an insert that has glass doors and pulls outside air for combustion.

If you're looking to heat your house, and it physically can be done, I would recommend it.

Otherwise, a lot of the heat ends up getting pulled out of the other rooms.

The key is that the insert is sealed and using outside air for combustion.

Thanks, i will check it out. Anyone ever heard of Blaze King? Any idea if they are a good stove? Should i go catalytic or non???

pete97 said:
It has glass doors but i am pretty sure it isn't a pre fab. The home was custom built. How can i check to see if it was.

Post some pictures here. Also, look up the flue and see if it is a round metal pipe or tiled masonry. We'll need to know this first. If prefab, the options will be limited.

Ok This is a house we are buying so next time I am in it I will check it out. Pete

pete97 said:
It looks like the Regency I2400 Insert will work. Anyone have experience with it???
I have a Regency I3100 which basically the same insert, but a little larger. This is my second season with it and so far it's been a positive experience. I like the east-west log layout, because I believe it gives you longer burn times. If I'm looking to heat the stove quickly then I throw a few smaller splits n-s. My 3100 is large enough to give me an option, but I'm not sure how deep the I2400 is. You can do a search here in the Hearth forum for I2400 and I'm sure you'll get plenty of information. I've seen that insert discussed here in the past. Good luck and welcome to the forums.
Rich

Ditto on the previous post of a good experience with the I2400. The firebox has a square footprint of 18" on both sides. Most often I place logs N-S for airflow reasons and because I can get away without putting gloves on. Gloves highly recommended for E-W loading. %-P

Pondman said:
Ditto on the previous post of a good experience with the I2400. The firebox has a square footprint of 18" on both sides. Most often I place logs N-S for airflow reasons and because I can get away without putting gloves on. Gloves highly recommended for E-W loading. %-P

I load N-S as well - it's just easier and faster. Although I probably should load E-W during the day when I am home as the house gets too hot.

I was wrong on the firebox size. It is 36" wide in the front, 27" high, 27-28" deep and 25 wide in the rear. I was going to get the Blaze King Princess because it would fit and it was a cat stove. Should I go with a bigger stove now or just stick with the BK ? Thanks Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.