fireplace leaking into house on stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bull

Dec 7, 2008
south east ky
my fireplace has started leaking . it is coming in behind the laid rock i have regrouted the top of the chimney and tared underneath around the clay tile. slowed it down alot but still have it leaking thruogh not quit as bad. any suggestion on how to stop it. a freind i work with says it may be coming thruogh the side of the laid rock . the fireplace is laid block around fireplace metal . then hand chipped rock laid around the block. any help would be appreciated

fisherinsertf1.jpg

Are the bricks or whatever the outside of your chimney is spalting? Think that's how it's spelled.

It's basically the bricks chipping

Sounds like you have what is called a 'slammer' install - which means your stove insert exhausts directly up your chimney without benefit of a stainless steel liner. Liners are the recommended install nowadays.

Here's something to think about: If you chimney is 'leaking' it would sound like you have a high probability of not only smoke but heat (fire) and gasses entering your home. Might be the time to have a pro come out and inspect.

SS chimney liner for sure.
Get that fixed ASAP or don't burn. :bug: scary!

thanks for the advice and warning guys but if you look real hard you can see it has a direct connect pipe connected and ran straight out the top. but this isnt helping the water dripping in.

the bull said:
thanks for the advice and warning guys but if you look real hard you can see it has a direct connect pipe connected and ran straight out the top. but this isnt helping the water dripping in.

Ah! WATER is leaking in, not smoke - okay - on the same page now. Can you provide photos of the outside of your chimney? I'm thinking there may be a water/sealer that you can apply as long as there are no large openings - but - pics would help.

BTW Love your stone & antiques! :)

Judging from the location of the leak, I am guessing that the leak is on the uphill side of the chimney. There is a sheet metal device called a cricket, which fills in the uphill side of the chimney allowing for faster drainage. Here is a brief wiki link. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cricket_(roofing)

This will stop the leak.

Nice homey room by the way.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cricket_(roofing)

On the rock above the stove I think I can see some water stains? A picture of the outside of the chimney would be helpful, but check for any places where rainwater can pour right onto your chimney. Redirect the water and seal those places up.

Nice hearth.

how about some thompsons water seal on the stone or some heat resistant silicone at the top. does it only do it when not running or does it leak when operating too? coming down the interior of the chimney or dripping down someplace else. just wondering.

cass

Milt said:
Judging from the location of the leak, I am guessing that the leak is on the uphill side of the chimney. There is a sheet metal device called a cricket, which fills in the uphill side of the chimney allowing for faster drainage. Here is a brief wiki link. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cricket_(roofing)

This will stop the leak.

Nice homey room by the way.
Milt is right, if it is on the slope above your chimney (where the roofline meets the chimney exiting the roof) you def. need a cricket flashing there.......if you have a local sheet metal shop they can easily make one for you with some simple measurements....we need a picture of where you think the leak is coming in to determine exactly what is going on....BTW, I love your hearth.....thats basically what I am in the process of building right now as we speak....

worked on the chimney yesturday (wife had camrea) mudding up some of the cracks going to spray it today with siloxen and see what happens wed when it rains . if it still leaks i will mudd it again covering the rock up , cant see it from the ground anyway. will look to do a cricket also thanks guys . god willing hope this helps . the dimminsions is 93''x36'' how big of a cricket should be made also it is metal roof.

the bull said:
worked on the chimney yesturday (wife had camrea) mudding up some of the cracks going to spray it today with siloxen and see what happens wed when it rains . if it still leaks i will mudd it again covering the rock up , cant see it from the ground anyway. will look to do a cricket also thanks guys . god willing hope this helps . the dimminsions is 93''x36'' how big of a cricket should be made also it is metal roof.
we still need to see your problem area to determine if that is what the problem is, and if you do need a cricket you will have to flash it into your chimney so it may pay you to hold off on the mudding....a picture would really help here.....

Nice setup with the Fisher and the stone. Hope you get the leak figured out. Is it only in certain kinds of driving rain that it does this now, or all the time?

Status
Not open for further replies.