Fireplace remodel feasibility

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pwburney

Jun 12, 2011
Acton, MA
paulburney.com
Hi everyone,

My wife and I are buying a new house (new to us, the house was built in 1969), and we're hoping to remodel the fireplace. Hopefully you can help us get a sense of the feasibility of this project. We're in Acton, Massachusetts.

The house has a large masonry chimney, floor to ceiling, in the "study" off of the kitchen. It currently has a wood stove in the fireplace and an open cooking area to the right:

front.jpg

In the late eighties, an addition was added to the house creating a large family room off of the left side of the house. This addition enclosed the formerly outdoor facing side of the chimney, so it's now a central element in the family room:

rear.jpg

We're not planning on using the fireplace for heating but for ambiance; just enjoying winter nights by the fire. We'd probably make wood fires in it once a week or so during winter.

Here's the current floorplan:

existing.png

The most basic plan is to remove the wood stove insert and convert it back to a normal fireplace. Is that something easy to do?

Then our thought was to fill in the cooking area with bricks and open up the back of the fireplace so that we had a two sided fireplace enjoyable from both the family room and the study. We would also look into opening up the wall to the left of the chimney to allow better flow between the rooms:

proposed.png

I read on this site that there are problems with the two sided fireplaces in that smoke sometimes will go into the other room instead of up the chimney. If that is a big issue, is it feasible to just switch which side of the chimney has the opening for the fireplace? We plan on leaving the rest of chimney intact except for these changes.

So, does this sound like a feasible project? I'm more of a computer guy than a DIY guy, so does anyone here have recommendations on finding a good mason? Any thoughts on a budget for this kind of work?

Thank you very much in advance,

-Paul Burney

Welcome Paul. Nice place, congratulations. You are correct, this must be discussed with a good mason. Be sure to get one that knows his/her stuff and has plenty of good references. Personally, I would live with it for a year. You may find the heating costs quite high, in which case having a wood insert could be a very nice bonus, especially if the area is prone to winter outages. I would also have at least a couple cords of wood split, stacked and drying right now.

Hi Paul:

Looks like a challenging and worthwhile project.

My main suggestion would be not to convert back to an "open" type fireplace, because overall they are heat losers. I suggest that you consider an An EPA certified fireplace insert, or a free standing wood stove (if you are willing to give up the floor space to meet clearance to combustibles code). The photo of your existing setup makes me wonder if your stove now meets clearance code.

You will have time to research installers and get ideas from them. There are experts on stove and insert installation and it pays to consult with them, as we say, to "pick their brains." I agree that your masonry work should be done by a mason. My experience has been that it's worth the extra money to obtain the services of top flight craftsmen, rather than choose on bid price. Look for "gray haired" types that have been in the business for 20 or 30 years and ask to see photos of their work with the references of their work.

Considering that you have masonry work, the purchase price of a new stove and its installation, probably a new chimney liner, etc.. I think that you are looking at well north of $5,000 - maybe up to $10,000. But this installation is a "critical to safety" install, so its not a place to try to cut corners.

Good luck with your project.

If I understand what you're saying, you have no interest in having a woodburning insert or freestanding woodstove, you just imagine a double-sided open fireplace where the existing chimney structure stands. What you're contemplating (if I understand it correctly) may not even be possible. If it is possible, it would be a huge masonry project. Masonry chimney structures are purpose-built and their interior configurations are very specifically constructed. You can't just bust a hole through the backside and have an open fireplace there...you'd need a lintel backfitted, and work done up into the flue for a smoke shelf, and a hearth extended out in front. I don't know if it could even be done. On the side where the existing insert is, imagining just "scooting that opening over to make for a fireplace" there is equally as daunting a project. If you're serious about this idea, I highly recommend that you find yourself a really good experienced mason to come have a look and talk about it. In the meantime, I wouldn't be burning in that existing insert, because the clearance to combustibles from the front to the carpet is unsafe. Rick

Hi Paul,
Welcome to the forum! That's a really nice looking fireplace setup and beautiful home.. Like others have said you could extend the hearth a bit and install a beautiful epa insert with a big fireview.. This would give you the benefits of a fireplace along with an efficient heater and the environment and your neighbors will appreciate the lack of smoke as well.. You will definitely need a top shelf mason for any fireplace changes beyond that..

Good Luck!

Ray

Thank you everyone for your great insights and suggestions. You've given my wife and I a lot to think over. Our next step will be to consult with a "gray haired" mason about the possibilities. I'll make sure to let you know what we finally decide to do.

Thanks again!

-Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.