Q&A Fireplace Rookie

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I'm a fireplace rookie. I have two questions about my woodburning fireplace. First- what kind of place sells different kind of logs for me to burn- and what do you recommend (for enjoyment- not warmth). Second- I get my fires started using a Duraflame log on the bottom with real wood on top. Is this OK to do? Thanks- Jon

Answer:

If it's an open fireplace- Duraflame or other factory made logs are OK. However- these logs do not make good starters sinces they are designed to burn slowly. The same stores should have other products better suited to starting fires. If you get good- a little newspaper and some dry kindling will do the job just fine.If you use "real" wood to burn- make certain it's completely dry and well seasoned (old)
For articles on starting and maintaining a fire, see the link belowl

Link: Heart.com Information Articles

Status
Not open for further replies.