fireplace support question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tenax

Jan 31, 2009
lethbridge alberta canada
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i have a virtually flush in wall gas fireplace that has floor to ceiling tile surrounding it (by flush, i mean that the only only protrusion on the fireplace is the trim and glass that stick out about 3 inches) the tile is going to be removed and preferably,i'll go with a natural stone product around it. (stacked slate type stuff?) the bulk of the fireplace itself backs into one of those added on extrusions on the outside of the house that hold the fireplace, chimney stack etc. the stone itself would come out about 3 inches as well and be mortared to the wall (plywood surface is the brick layers recommendation) but it's not like this fireplace is going to be intruding into the living space fireplace (i.e. extending 2 feet into the room). the wall the tile is on is an exterior wall built onto the concrete foundation. i don't think i should have any load bearing issues given the fireplace and stone are essentially flush with the wall compared to a fireplace stone design that extends substantially into the room. fyi, the joists underneath are 2 x 10s, 16 inches on center. based on the stone being mounted to an exterior wall which is above a concrete foundation, i shouldn't have any load bearing concerns, right?

thanks for any thoughts.

Is the fireplace bump out cantalivered or does the foundation bump out with it?

hi pyro..good question. the foundation runs straight , no bump out. it would be directly underneath the wall that would be holding the stone..i believe the stone i am going to be getting is natural stone by the way? burnco stone..if i understand correctly, it's not the lighter weight molded stuff but it is cut flat to go on the wall..i think that's how it is..i have to go look at it next week. totally new to this stone stuff.

Could be natural stone cut down to 2" thickness. I forget what they call it. How many square feet do you plan on installing?

actually, i just spoke with the guy who gave me a quote on the job..it's eldorado manufactured stone..i thought it was real stone as it seemed very pricey..the wall size is about 5 wide x 10 tall with a gas fireplace insert in it and his quote is 1750 canadian! good news is this product is lighter so i imagine i'll have no issue..bad news is..doesn't that seem costly? i definitely am going to get multiple quotes but ieven with the economy slowing down, no sign of slowdown for trades in alberta canada, anyway.

Yeah with cultured stone you will have no problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.