fireplace??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kosboy

Oct 10, 2008
long island
I have a fireplace that is a metal lined/box with 2 vents on either side(I'm guessing one for air intake each side and one for warm air back into room). Heard it may be a heatilator design???? anyone know of this design? looking to use as fireplace to help heat house or put a stove in and vent up chimney. any info , greatly appreciated, thanks..

I have the same set up.
I burned wood in it last winter.
I never got much heat out of the vents.
A regular fireplace is pretty to burn but adds no real heat to the house.
My fireplace actually cools of the rest of the house. Its nice and hot right in front
of the fire, but the fireplace is actually sucking out the heat from the rest of the house.
At least in my case. I am in the process of converting my fireplace to an insert.
I was told a fireplace is about 5-15% efficient , the insert i bought is supposed to be in the 85% range.
You came to the right place, these guys have helped me out alot, and saved me $$$$$$

Brad

Does it look like this?

PIC00004-1.jpg

Hmm, you guys have been busy Eileen.

[quote author="Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle" date="1223707393"]Does it look like this?

judging by the pic, looks almost identical down to the wonderbar on the floor in front of it.

<<A regular fireplace is pretty to burn but adds no real heat to the house.>>

So your ForeFathers lived in igloos from 1500 to 1900 ?

billb3 said:
<<A regular fireplace is pretty to burn but adds no real heat to the house.>>

So your ForeFathers lived in igloos from 1500 to 1900 ?

Actually, many did freeze their buns off. They lived with much colder houses and went through a lot of wood. That's why the Franklin fireplace was such a welcome change. But the country was full of immigrants and many brought solutions from the old country over here. If you were lucky enough to know a good German mason, you might have had a derivative of a kacheloven. Or perhaps a Russian fireplace.

Our family line in the US goes back to 1629. There are still some houses of our ancestors that are around and lived in today. A couple years ago, we visited one of them and the very nice fellow gave us the full tour of the circa 1740 house. He hadn't touched the cellar and there you could see their winter quarters. Basically in winter, they all moved down into the cellar to take advantage of the earth's insulation from the cold. There was a big fireplace/hearth, kitchen, food storage and some bunks. You could imagine the cold those folks must have endured in a bad winter.

Yep, BG, we have. That photo was taken in August...the insert has been in since September, and, in my opinion, is broken in for winter use. Decorative touches should be done by December (daughters got 2 weeks of Army Guard Hazmat duty/training coming up)
sept093.jpg

10_06_19.jpg

There is now a screen infront of the insert due to the little ball of furs arrival this week.

But...having reread the OP's initial post, mine does not have a metal lined firebox. The walls are masonary. The damper area was a PITA to make bigger for the pipe coming off of the top of the insert. I see that the OP is also on Long Island. I've seen alot of fireplaces like ours around here. These heatalator vents are cemented in, and tie into the chimny, above the damper.

What are you planning on doing with this fireplace? An insert?

Status
Not open for further replies.