Firestop Question????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrism

Feeling the Heat
Oct 8, 2009
Eastern PA
I have a single floor home I am putting the stove half in an alcove( where a zero clearence fireplace used to be ) , the chimney will be center of a 6 foot alcove it will be at least 10 inches on all sides from a combustible as per manufacturer specs (is 2 inches), my stove pipe is going straight up through a flat ceiling support up the chase and out the chase cover. Someone told me (a chimney sweep guy) i need a fire stop ? if im not running my pipe through a second floor than why do i need a firestop ??? and where am i going to put it?? im thinking he is wrong ??? thanks

Chrism said:
I have a single floor home I am putting the stove half in an alcove( where a zero clearence fireplace used to be ) , the chimney will be center of a 6 foot alcove it will be at least 10 inches on all sides from a combustible as per manufacturer specs (is 2 inches), my stove pipe is going straight up through a flat ceiling support up the chase and out the chase cover. Someone told me (a chimney sweep guy) i need a fire stop ? if im not running my pipe through a second floor than why do i need a firestop ??? and where am i going to put it?? im thinking he is wrong ??? thanks

If I am reading this right, I would say the only reason you would need a firestop is if you were going to insulate around the chimney above the ceiling support...I am in the same situation with my chase right now....installing an NZ3000 fireplace and it is in a dedicated chase, I installed a ventilation register at the top of my cathedral ceiling and I have to put a firestop in the chase at that same height so I can insulate around that class A pipe to keep my heated room from "back-convecting" through that top register and up the chase.....that is the only reason I can think of that inspector telling you to put a firestop in there....to maintain clearances around your insulation...

I insulated my whole chase with roxul and sheet rocked it all 3 exterior sides. All my insulation is covered. The chase is wide open , my chimney manufacturer calls for 2" to combustible, I am going to have minimum 6" to combustible all around, So I don't see why the chimney sweep guy said I need a fire stop???

Forgive my artist skills or lack of , but this is my set up from my ceiling support I have 7 ft to the top of the chase.

Attachments

• IMG00307-20111018-2201.jpg
    IMG00307-20111018-2201.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 559
Also please don't tell me I wasn't supposed to insulate the whole chase, I did it because the chimney sweep guy told me to insulate the whole thing before he came to do the install, so I used Roxul to do the job cause of its fire resistant properties. Should I keep the whole thing insulated or take it out?? I'd rather have some input before I build my ceiling and sheetrock it . I'm using metalbestos double insulated chimney pipe to run up the middle of my chase.

Attachments

• IMG00308-20111018-2225.jpg
    IMG00308-20111018-2225.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 859
  • IMG00311-20111018-2226.jpg
    IMG00311-20111018-2226.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 464
Insulation is fine. It could have been fiberglass, but no matter. Here's a diagram of a normal installation including firestop.

Attachments

• Chase insulation.jpg
    Chase insulation.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 1,609
Status
Not open for further replies.