firestove advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joesfire

Oct 27, 2007
charlotte nc
I am considering installing a Freestanding woodstove or ask about other options. I have two chimneys. The house was built around 1920 and both are the old shallow coal burning type fireboxes so i am not comfortable burning anything in them now. I have lived in the house for 20 yrs. and never used either. One is in the living room and I am not really considering using.The other is a double firebox single chimney. The den side is original and has a flue hole cut thru the brick and there has previously been a stove there at one time(apparently without floor protection because there are some burn marks in the floor. The other backs up to the bedroom and has been sealed off completely with concrete or morter. I do not know why but assume it is because I also have gas heat and the flue is vented up thru that same chimney. What are my options??? Your suggestions and exprerience would be greatly appreciated.

leave no post un answered I hate to be the only one to respond. this is my opinion take nothing for granted. Assume the age factor, will require a complete insulated liner as a requirement for any wood stove installation

Sounds like you need to have a pro come out and inspect everything in order to make sense of what is what!

All of your concerns are possible - gas vented up through it, etc. - you need to get the whole thing looked at and be given the options. Then stop by and we'll give you opinions on the options.

Status
Not open for further replies.