Fireview gasket replacement question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mfglickman

Minister of Fire
Jan 17, 2012
NW CT
I've noticed this year that it's harder to keep my glass clean, even with a 650+ fire. Today on startup I inspected and found 2 suspect things -

1- a bit of the window gasket is sticking up over the top of the window (maybe a 1 inch section);
2- a longer bit of the baffle gasket (2 inches maybe) is hanging down into the firebox, directly above the window gasket failure

Clearly I need to replace these. We have some cold nights coming up though and I'd love to wait till it warms up later next week, if that is safe to do.

FWIW I do not see or smell any smoke and the stove seems to be burning fine, except for the glass and maybe burning wood a bit faster than I'd like, with air low and cat engaged.

Thanks for your advice!

Mary

Did I put this in the wrong forum? Mods pleAse advise, thanks!

Sounds like the gaskets need replacement. Have you contacted Woodstock for a kit and instructions?

How difficult would it be to replace the gasket for the window? Can you only reach it from the side door?

The window gasket looks to be a pain to replace but they do have instructions on their site. They will also send you detailed instructions for any other gaskets you need to replace. You might as well just purchase the Fireview gasket kit and replace them all at once.

It's not extremely difficult to change that window gasket. The diagram in the manual really shows what you need to know. The andirons have to come out first then it is easy.

Mary, definitely contact Woodstock. You can either buy a complete kit or just buy the gaskets and glue that you need. They will even walk you through the thing if you need it.

How difficult would it be to replace the gasket for the window? Can you only reach it from the side door?

Yes, and it's a little claustrophobic to reach in and see at the same time - and I am only 5'5. I can't imagine how hard it would be if I were 6 feet...

I have a window gasket kit. Guess I need to order another baffle one as I replaced that last Fevruary (not very well clearly).

Thanks all,
Mary

Yes, and it's a little claustrophobic to reach in and see at the same time - and I am only 5'5. I can't imagine how hard it would be if I were 6 feet...

I have a window gasket kit. Guess I need to order another baffle one as I replaced that last Fevruary (not very well clearly).

Thanks all,
Mary
Remember to clean out any existing gasket and cement material that remains so the new gasket sits flush and sticks well in place. Sometimes this requires chiseling out the left behind material.

Thanks all,
Mary

Mary, your size should make things go much easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.