Fireview Startup Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RandyG

Dec 22, 2010
Central Fla
I just started my stove this evening and had an issue with smoke coming from the rear, it would only escape with the door completely open, when I would close it just to a crack it would stop. It appeared as if it was coming from the damper slot. I have never had this happen before, although this is the first time lighting in somewhat windy conditions. I had a few windows open in the house also. Is this normal, could it be the wind, have it warming up now to cat temp and all seems fine. Just a new experience and I'm curious. Oh, I did check my draft and seems strong. Thanks :gulp:

Did you warm the stack before lighting up?

fv

Just a min or two with a piece of newspaper.

RandyG said:
I just started my stove this evening and had an issue with smoke coming from the rear, it would only escape with the door completely open, when I would close it just to a crack it would stop. It appeared as if it was coming from the damper slot. I have never had this happen before, although this is the first time lighting in somewhat windy conditions. I had a few windows open in the house also. Is this normal, could it be the wind, have it warming up now to cat temp and all seems fine. Just a new experience and I'm curious. Oh, I did check my draft and seems strong. Thanks :gulp:

Normal. I had the same thing happen with my Keystone when I first got it. I was starting a fire and had the door open to load some split in it and the smoke rolled out the rear. Now, I shut the door sooner than later.

Great stove you got.

Bill

Thanks Bill and Fireview, I figured as much, especially since I've had no other issues with the stove, just never happened before. I must say this stove never ceases to amaze me, it doesn't run you out of the room yet it keeps the house cozy, it is well suited for this type of climate, seems right at home. Low and slow and steady is what I wanted and that's exactly what I got. I have to tell ya I almost pulled the trigger on the keystone, but just always loved the look of the Fireview. Love all of Woodstocks stoves, top notch in my book....

Status
Not open for further replies.