Firewood delivered today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe in MI

Apr 24, 2010
NW Michigan
Even though my woodstove isn't installed yet, in my addition that isn't done yet, I called and got some firewood delivered today. It was $50 per face-cord, cut and split, and if I bought five face-cords of hardwood, they would throw in a face-cord of the dreaded pine free (plus delivery, of course). So they delivered the six face-cords today. They advertise "seasoned firewood" like all firewood sellers do, but I wasn't really expecting it to be seasoned. I split a few of the bigger pieces and found they were consistently in the 16%-18% range. The guy that delivered it said the wood was cut and piled last year. They are currently building the pile for next year's sales. I've seen the piles, and they're more like mountains.

Total cost was $308. I'm pretty happy with it. It gives me a big leg-up for next year, and will take some of the urgency out of cutting this year. Like I've seen here before - it feels like money in the bank. I'll be cutting my own except for this load, but it's nice knowing I can get burnable wood if I need it. Of course, my mood may change if I stack it up and find its far short of the two cords its supposed to be. I'm pretty sure it'll be fine though - they're pretty reputable.

I've seen oak and I think some ash and maple. I'm still learning to ID wood without leaves. (I always cheat and look at leaves in the woods). And the pine, of course.

168416_177030945673879_100001009252356_382573_7504426_n.jpg

I am doing some remodeling that is taking way to long, gathering wood for next season also. I would bite on that pile of wood.
Seems like a fair deal to me. Good leg up... Nice piles of snow too. You guys up there should be getting really chilly tonight would be nice to have the fire going.

The wood in this area being sold by the face cord is going for 40-50 dollars also, most likely it is not seasoned.

Zap

Face Cord here are between 50-65. 50 if you pick up c/s, and higher if delivered. Pretty sure none is dry.
I prefer to rely on myself to "season"(meaning DRY) the wood properly. Learned the hard way the first year.
Joe, if you have the cash, double up on that. Wait a minute.....how much is stacked in the background, and how old is it?
How big is the house. Details man, we need details! Ooh, and more pics.

Nice pile and a decent price too. Cheaper than around here. Sometimes the smell of the wood can help with an ID. I love the smell of oak freshly split. Cherry is also a lovely smelling wood before it dries.

Looks good Joe. It also looks like you have some that has been stacked for some time. You also have more snow than we do as most of the snow has missed us this year. You must be perhaps somewhere near Petoskey?

We live down near Chase - about 12 miles north of Big Rapids, or 30 miles south of Cadillac. The other wood was cut and split in April or may of 2010 - all cherry and oak . I think I have close to 4, maybe 5 cords with this new stuff. I'm done with snow now.

Great find By me the cords are going for $225 Del not stacked mostly not seasoned I have plenty of seasoned wood I burn a open 90 yr old fireplace in the center of my house keep it going all the time the upstairs chimney temp stays around 80 on the outside bricks Get that addition finished and start burning

Attachments

• WoodHouse.jpg
    WoodHouse.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 736
Finally got Photobucket going again. I got half the load stacked - amazingly enough it made a stack 4 feet tall and 24 feet long - looks like a cord to me! That means, on top of the price being reasonable and wood being seasoned, I may have even got the amount that I paid for! And here I thought wood sellers were schisters, after reading stuff on this forum. It may help that these folks are Amish (except for their delivery folks, of course)

Here's the wood I have stacked:
newwoodstacked.jpg

And here's the addition I've been working on since May. The half with siding on it is old. Everything else is new. My only excuse for the slow pace is that I've done practically everything myself, and I've never built anything even remotely close to a house before. I hired the basement done, and I had a guy come and finish the roof and fascia. Other than that, its been mostly me and my dad, and father-in-law - and they both live 160 miles away, so they can't help all that often. You can see the chimney peeking up over the roof.

AdditionWinter.jpg

Nice pile of wood at a decent price Joe. You'll have a great learning experience working on that addition yourself. There's a great feeling when you finish a project like that and know you did it yourself!

Yes - the addition has certainly been a learning experience. I've enjoyed it a lot, and treasured the time working with my dad and father in law. One grandfather was a builder, and the other a heck of a carpenter and woodworker, and I picked up a lot from them. They're both gone, so it brought a smile to my face every time I used one of their techniques or tricks.

The house should be in the neighborhood of 2600 square feet when all is said and done. I didn't really need the second story on the addition, but it was worth the relatively small extra expense for all the extra room. I'm not subdividing the second story of the addition yet - the room is 20x35! Can you say "home theater?" :cheese:

Nice home Joe.. Good spot for wood too.
I am in about the same boat.. 100 year old house adding on basement and 2 story.. should be around 2600 sq ft ...

Next time, drive a hard bargain and tell him you want two face cords of that 'useless' pine

I tried - they can only get two full cords on their dump trailer. It was full when they got here - I don't think they could have got another face cord on it!

The snow is finally almost all gone! I was able to go out and stack the rest of the wood I had delivered over the winter. It was supposed to be 6 face cords and waddayaknow - it actually WAS! I've got two stacks 4 feet high and 24 feet long. I am quite happy with it.

I also bought myself a Fiskars Super Splitter today. The new Family Farm and Home store in town carries them. I asked about getting the x27 and they said they would, but I never heard back. The more I thought about it, the more I figured the original SS would probably work fine. I picked it up and it just seemed "right." I've held the new x25 models and I don't like the more pronounced flare on the end, so I'm glad I got one of the originals. I used the new SS today - the pile of unsplit rounds off to one side used to be twice that size. I'm liking the SS!

This is also my first attempt at stacking the ends of the piles - I ran out of conveniently placed trees. It seems to be stable so far.

AprilFirewoodSmall2.jpg

AprilFirewoodSmall.jpg

Joe it looks like you have a good amount of popple there. The end stacking will come with practice. I also like to split some squares or rectangles to use on the end pieces but usually run out of them and then just end up using the other splits. It works so long as you build it square from the ground up. I still get a bit sloppy at times but they don't fall over. Soon I'll be stacking again from the wood we cut this past winter but there is not much from this year.....and I work super slow now.

There is some popple there. -I had to clear some to make room for storing my firewood. I'm stacking it to the side for firepit purposes. A few pieces may have snuck into the stack with the real wood. I was wishing I had some square pieces for the end - I had exactly zero. The stacks are almost all cherry, oak, maple, and a little pine

Status
Not open for further replies.