Firewood Retailers- they're not all liars

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gunner

Sep 20, 2006
Southern Ontario
I actually found a firewood retailer who sells dry wood...I know...it's quite rare. All the wood is stacked, but not covered, everyone else around here has it in giant piles to be loaded by machine. Was told the wood had been in stacked since Feb, and I believe him.
It was like a dream...the wood is battleship grey,shedding it's bark like a snake, and the ends have checks you could fit a quarter into!!! I wish I had my camera with me.

On the way home I saw a large load of pine rounds so I ask the guy-can I have those-sure he says take them all. Well beggers can't be choosers, so after I unloaded the cord of dream wood I went back and got the pine that turned out to be a cord mabey more.

All in all it turned out to be a good morning.

Keep an eye on your credit card bill

Sounds like a great score!

I saw an add for firewood that said they would split, deliver and stack it for you. I can't remember if they said it was seasoned or not. I figured them stacking it is half the battle in getting a full cord. I have no idea what they wanted to charge per cord. They called it "Gourmet Firewood" so I would hope it's seasoned!

Matt

There are a lot of good fire wood guys out there. You just have to" find" the good ones.

I envy you Gunner---I'm debating at this point even making any more attempts---seriously considering going with compressed logs for now until our own dries out.

EBL---had an ad similar to that here too and a few that said 'come fill your truck' with various prices listed. If it were feasible for us to go fetch it I'd be very tempted----at least you can drive away if it's ca-ca.

Really just getting ready to look into it Jeremy, thanks to Elk for the suggestion---I looked into the Bio-Bricks that have been favorably mentioned here but they'd have to be shipped here and not cost effective--------I'm hoping the logs are more readily available from a local or box-store but honestly haven't gotten that far yet----been wasting too much time on inconsequential stuff unfortunately.

Kate,

Do you have a local pennysaver up there? There are always lots of people offering face cords, etc in them.

Matt

Kate I have soo much wood here I would swap your green for seasoned to help a fellow forum member out, but distance makes that unrealisticc

I believe you would, Elk, you're a doll. And your passion for common sense and safety is a perfect 'booster-shot' when I'm threatening my Boyscout with bodily harm for trying to burn the 'inappropriates'. So... Thank You.

Greetings,
When I was a kid.....many years ago......I remember a saying the deffination of a firewood dealer (seller) was a Liar standing next to a pile of wood..........Fortunately in Maryland in order to sell firewood the seller needs a license from the Dept. of Ag. and the sale must be some division of a cord and state the species.....
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.