Firewood size for Jotul F400?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sd303

Dec 4, 2007
central NJ
Newbie here, I am in the process of ordering seasoned firewood for the first time. Most places offer a cord of 16 to 18 inch wood or a cord of 14 inch and under. The manual states a maximum of 20 inches. I am a first time burner and do not want to buy the incorrect size wood. Will 16 to 18 inch wood be too tight inside the firebox and make managing the fire more difficult? On a side note, most prices I'm getting for a cord of seasoned oak and cherry wood are between $175-$200, plus delivery. Anyone from NJ/NY area paying the same?

16-18" will be just right. I squeaked in some 21" logs in the Castine once in a while by placing them diagonally.

Be sure the wood is seasoned when you get it. If you don't know the difference, have a friend that knows the difference by feel be there upon delivery. Or invest in a cheap moisture meter and split open a few logs to test when you get the wood (don't let them dump the entire load until you are satisfied). Try to buy from an established seller that values his reputation. At this time of the year it's worth paying a bit more for wood that is for certain the right size and ready to burn.

I've found that 18" wood is best - that way you get maximum usage out of the firebox without having to put it in diagonally. That said, I order my wood at 16" to be sure it fits. Last year I had some left over from the previous year, which I used in the fireplace before I bought the stove, and it was supposedly 18" wood. I'd say 1 out of 4 were too long to fit in. So, rather than fill every inch of the firebox, I'd rather make sure that all the wood I bring into the house fits and go with the 16".

16.726" is a very convenient size. I recommend you insist on this from your supplier. ;-P Welcome to the forum! Rick

WELCOME!!!! i like 16.8 . i'll let you know how that size does this heating season.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm going with the 16 to 18 inch. I'm scheduled for delivery tomorrow. I have my gloves and a bottle of Tylenol ready to go.

sd303 said:
Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm going with the 16 to 18 inch. I'm scheduled for delivery tomorrow. I have my gloves and a bottle of Tylenol ready to go.

Martini & hot tub for me :) let us know how it goes.

John

18" is ideal but if you made a booboo in cutting you can fit up to 22" kindling wood in the Castine if you angle it right (diagonal and up). Another thing with the design of the stove with the graduated tier of secondary burn tubes being taller in front it allows for more room in the front of the stove so I tend to put the larger pieces of wood in the front of the stove as opposed to the back. I have successfully fit a 9" diameter round of well seasoned dry elm on a coalbed with two 2-3"higher btu firewood pieces behind it really produced a very nice long burn with about 2 1/2 hours time in the secondaries.

I have an Oslo and TRY to cut my stuff 20 to 22 inches. The manual says it'll take a 22 inch log and that's what I try to give it!

I went a took a 22 inch split and slid it in there to make sure and I guarantee I can get a 23 inch in there comfortable and probably even a 24 incher.

My theory is to stuff it full :)

I've got suppliers that would offer 16 inch well split, or 16-18 inch regular split. The guy I have used this year and once before delivers 18 inch wood but it is never split enough. Many many pieces are too big and will not fit in my stove. They need to be split again, some twice. Many pieces are so heavy they are hard to grasp with one hand to stack. What do i do? . Although suppliers in my area are pricey, his loads are good. The wood is never seasoned properly, mosly oak. Never have really gottn seasoned wood so it goes under cover once I get it and I rotate the stock. So I have smartened up and buy quantity, stack it for use for the next and following seasons.

I measure splits from my elbow to finger tip, 18" everytime. Works for me as a quick referrence.

fossil said:
16.726" is a very convenient size. I recommend you insist on this from your supplier. ;-P Welcome to the forum! Rick

Figures. 17 seasoned cords of useless firewood now. Well Im throwing it all away and starting over. I searched for years for symetrcally concentric logs often shunning the better species in exchange for truly proportional wood. All this and I ignored the 16.726" length standard and cut a corner and went with 16.7259". I feel like such an idiot.

Aw, don't be so hard on yerself, Rockey...we all make mistakes. 17 cords isn't all that much wood, it won't take you long to set things right. %-P Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.