First -40 nights of the winter.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bsj425

Burning Hunk
Jul 17, 2011
North Pole Alaska
weatherman is calling for -40 to -45 tonight and tomorrow night with highs of -20 in the day. It is -28 right now and has been dropping a degree or 2 for the past couple hours should hit the -40 at this rate in another couple hours... time to throw some logs on the fire!

Yikes !!!

It's November, FFGS !!

Brrrr!

Supposed to be down to -10* tonight, but dunno if it will get that cold.

The lowest temp ever recorded for my area was -29 F. I wasn't living in this house at that time but I guarantee !@#% froze up. Hehe, actually, in looking it up, I think it was the next year that the wood stove was installed in the basement of this house! I wonder if there was a connection :lol:

God bless you. A "good" winter on average will see -15 once or twice. Can't image what January is like for you.

pen

Yeah they are nuts up there. Doesn't get near that cold here!

My thermometer don't go that low :bug:
So much for "global warming" :)
Burning hot enough now, smoky glass on the BK is not an issue.
Have to load twice now to keep the house a 72. 1/2 load + around noon.

Weather front coming, should be here Friday, back up in the teens, with snow I hope.
Record low here was -39 in Jan, 1975.
I remember some days -30 & the truck wouldn't even turn over, synthetic oil now + park it inside.
Hope to never see that again.
When this high pressure areas move east & south, some of the lower 48 states will finally get winter. ;)

send that cold air down here... the coldest its gotten down here so far is +1... which is way too warm for me... last year around thanksgiving we were getiing temps around -25 to -30 degrees!

[quote author="bogydave" date="1321359488"]
I remember some days -30 & the truck wouldn't even turn over, synthetic oil now + park it inside.
quote]

I take it your truck doesn't have an engine block heater? I would figure it would be a common feature on Alaska vehicles!

Mt Ski Bum said:
bogydave said:
quote]

I take it your truck doesn't have an engine block heater? I would figure it would be a common feature on Alaska vehicles!
New truck does. All newer vehicles here have block heaters.
The old truck always started at -20 & up.
After synthetic, no problems. Had to leave it parked for weeks sometimes at a parking lot with no outlets.
Not many parking lots have AC outlets for vehicles. -30 all day or all week, better have synthetic oil :)

Oh, My God. It was in the 70's here today. Will get colder, maybe in the high 30's at night but still highs in the 60's or so.

I don't usually bother to plug my stuff in. My truck and car are both diesels and they don't have any trouble. Electricity is $$ to keep them plugged in. I figured it out one day and for 3-4hrs a day for a month it would be close to $20 in electric. My WHOLE bill is about $50/month!

I'm lucky I guess... I only pay for electricity used in my condo... I don't pay for electricity that comes from the outlets outside, so I don't have to worry about it adding to my electric bill :)

And here in Maine today they're talking about possibly breaking the high temp record for the day with a forecasted temp in the low 60s . . . unbelievable for Maine in mid-November . . . but as much as I love the snow . . . I can still live with this nicer weather for a few more days.

I remember as a kid sledding and riding snowmobile around Thanksgiving time. Think that will happen this year?

NATE379 said:
I remember as a kid sledding and riding snowmobile around Thanksgiving time. Think that will happen this year?

Anything is possible . . . but at this point I would guess not . . . I mean we did get enough snow right before Halloween to sled . . . my buddy actually had some pics taken of him riding the old Skidoo in the field towing one of his kids in a sled behind him . . . but it's pretty warm right now . . . and frankly we need a few weeks of cold weather to firm up the ground . . . otherwise we'll get the snow and it will be a wet, snowy/muddy mess while riding.

I have never seen temps like that, not without a lot of wind chill figured in. Minus 20 something is as cold as I want to ever see, and not again.

It is 60 something in here and I am going to light a fire.

-5* right now. Supposed to drop to -10* tonight along with the usual 40-50mph wind

NATE379 said:

I've had the sled out for 3 weeks now!

There is a reason that I don't live in Alaska. That was it.

Heck, come retirement time I ain't even gonna live in Northern IL.

you can sled/snowmobile/ski down here in Montana- have been able to do it for several weeks now!

372e47c8.jpg

Ah the nice mid day high on a side note the sun comes up around 10:05 and is gone by 3:30 in the afternoon won't be
Long till he goes away for a couple weeks

We believe it. Ya didn't have to send it down this way!

I may have to mow the grass on Thanksgiving day. Had to do that one time years ago. As to block heaters, my Suburban had every option they made in 1994. So it has a block heater. The cord has never been pulled out of the holder.

The last three winters were plenty for me and combined with Irene this year and the earthquake I would be just fine with a warm peaceful winter.

BeGreen said:
We believe it. Ya didn't have to send it down this way!

yes, when you send it south, just send it straight here to south-west Montana ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.