First annual cleaning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DemonGT

Oct 19, 2011
Sparta,WI
first time having someone come and do a cleaning on my stove since i purchased my 5 year old home that had a pelpro bay view insert.

i was not home but this is what the wife was told by the Tech.

"we have a "great unit" and said we don't need to hire them to clean it again because of the style that it is and it doesn't have a chimney but if we ever have problems to call and they can service it or even to call and they would answer any questions we may have. Says everything is in excellent shape and you take very good care of it"

i understand its a direct vent but after 5 winters with no cleaning of the motors shouldnt the motors have been pretty dirty? he was there for a hour and a half so i assume he did more then just vaccum behind it?

Hello

That is the craiziest thing I ever heard!

I had a Pelpro Bay View FS which is very similar your insert. All motors need lubrication and the fan blades can use some protection spray to prevent some buildup.

Hear is everything you ever wanted to know about the Bay View but did not know to ask! LOL
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/shed-wood-pellet-stove-install.81210/#post-81210

With an insert, the pellet venting must be thoughly cleaned or the stove can stop working!

That is pretty disturbing Don. The place i had do the cleaning dose not sell PelPro but in emails said they could still clean/service them.

I guess ill have to take pics of the back side and get info as to what to lub/clean etc.

I asked the wife how he reattached the exhaust behind the stove and she said this.

"he didnt pull it out, he didnt even need the shroud removed. everything is accessible from the inside by opening the glass"

i had partly removed the shroud just to be nice to help the guy out...

im going to email the place, but how exactly do the motors get lubricated?

here is the email they sent me after i had asked about what was included with the cleaning

"Our annual maintenance includes cleaning the firebox, ash pan, glass, firebrick, baffles, both blowers, and the venting. We also oil motors if needed. We ask that the hopper of the insert is emptied before the cleaning, but otherwise, you don't need to do anything else. We pull the insert out and put it back in place"

:mad:

here is the email they sent me after i had asked about what was included with the cleaning

"Our annual maintenance includes cleaning the firebox, ash pan, glass, firebrick, baffles, both blowers, and the venting. We also oil motors if needed. We ask that the hopper of the insert is emptied before the cleaning, but otherwise, you don't need to do anything else. We pull the insert out and put it back in place"

:mad:

Sounds like they did not do what the email says they do! I hope you did not pay them yet?

Do you like my pics? Nice Pelpro heat for my shed there. LOL

yes, very nice pics Don..i ask about the motors because im afraid they are going to come back at me with something about how the motors cant be lubricated or something like that?

Hello

You have a good question about lubricating the motors. Some lube kits have good instructions where the pellet stove lube points are.

PC me if you want to know more.
PC = Private Conversation

Don...yer hitting the boards with spam yo. Cant be so batant with the sell.

"My cleanings are spotless"

No spam here except yours! If he wants to know more from me he can start a private conversation with me.

Hello

Here is just one point for oil on a Pelpro A.O. Smith exhaust blower.

Attachments

• pelproexhaustblower.jpg
    pelproexhaustblower.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 156
No spam here except yours! If he wants to know more from me he can start a private conversation with me.
Not any more I see...I was referring to your post about "buying" lube kits....seems like you edited it. Those of us who do this stuff for a living run a thin line and while I'm careful not openly offer service or product (a line that I have at times crossed and have repented for:eek:) Please try not to get us all kicked off by opening selling... TY

Reactions: DexterDay
Hello Scott

Ok, thanks for the help.

Jimminey Christmas man (Don) you have over 4000 posts now! My my you have been a busy boy!:)

Thanks Scott

I really wanted to crank up my knowledge and it keeps me on my toes.

Good to hear man! Get 200 stoves under yer belt and you'll be a seasoned old hat techie. Just running numbers earlier between appointments...I think I just eclipsed 7000 service calls personally. Where you do it in posts I do it in practice....You'll catch up soon if I know you.;)

Reactions: DexterDay
lots of good info here, thanks alot guys. After talking with my wife more about what the Tech had to say it sound like they sell and service mostly Harman stoves and he said they do go behind those because of some kind of temp sensor and filter?? i was just behind the stove insert today hunting down a exhaust leak and i can see the exhaust motor has dust bunny's in it.

Don's pic looks just like mine. i did take a few pics before closing it back up but there still on the camera.

lots of good info here, thanks alot guys. After talking with my wife more about what the Tech had to say it sound like they sell and service mostly Harman stoves and he said they do go behind those because of some kind of temp sensor and filter?? i was just behind the stove insert today hunting down a exhaust leak and i can see the exhaust motor has dust bunny's in it.

Don's pic looks just like mine. i did take a few pics before closing it back up but there still on the camera.

I like the Pelpro Bay View. I just missed getting another one the other day!
Did you take out the blowers and give them a good cleaning?

I use TufOil Lubit-8 on all the motor shafts.

I am trying dry moly spray on the fan blades this year on both blower fan blades. The spray graphite I used on the combustion blower last year just about wore off. The spray graphite on the convection blower last year did keep the dust down quite alot. I cleaned off the graphite which contained a small layer of dust embedded in the graphite. The spray moly is a little harder so I expect it will stand up better on the exhaust blower and not embed dust on the convection blower.

im still trying to hunt down a exhaust leak, i thought i had it fixed. it seems like when i run the stove on a higher feed setting like 3 or 4 its fine but when the thermostat is satisfied and the stove goes down to
feed rate #1(idle) there is still a small trace of smoke smell?

how do you normally seal the exhaust on a insert? there is barely enough room for one of my arms to fit next to the stove to get behind there?

Status
Not open for further replies.