First attempt @ home made pizza!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bfunk13

Minister of Fire
Sep 11, 2008
Wyoming
This is my first attempt at home made pizza.
The town i live in has Pizza Hut and Dominoes, no "real" pizza till now. LOL

I bought a pizza stone and it works great, the crust bakes up like brick oven NY style.
I made the dough from scratch and will not change a thing. It was great. Although the hand tossing is tougher than it looks.
I made enough dough for 3 pizzas, so tomorrow i will try to perfect it. I think i will try a pepperoni, sausage, mushroom, black olive tomorrow.

Mamma Mia!

Attachments

• DSCN4248.jpg
    DSCN4248.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 556
Looks mighty fine. Here is one of the ones I made on the Weber grill this past summer. Barbecue chicken with onions, my favorite. Small oak chunks on the far side of the grill provided 500*.

Attachments

• DSC09388.jpg
    DSC09388.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 535
  • DSC09391.jpg
    DSC09391.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 507
They both look yummy!!
Fishingpol.....Blue Moon eh??? Nice choice... ;-)

fishingpol said:
Looks mighty fine. Here is one of the ones I made on the Weber grill this past summer. Barbecue chicken with onions, my favorite. Small oak chunks on the far side of the grill provided 500*.

Pizza on the grill is the BEST! Nice job.

bfunk13, so was this done in your stove, or in your insert?
Looks extremely edible. I have yet to get my crust just right, not sure what I'm doing wrong. I can bake a really nice loaf of bread, but the pizza dough doesn't rise enough for my taste (I've only made 2).
I'm a pizzaholic. :coolsmile:

almost 9 am and I'm jonesing for a pizza!

PapaDave said:
bfunk13, so was this done in your stove, or in your insert?
Looks extremely edible. I have yet to get my crust just right, not sure what I'm doing wrong. I can bake a really nice loaf of bread, but the pizza dough doesn't rise enough for my taste (I've only made 2).
I'm a pizzaholic. :coolsmile:

Are you using a pizza stone?
The recipe i used calls for letting dough rise for over an hour.
Most NY style dough recipes looked about the same, maybe check that out.

I've made scrath pizza before...came ot ok but nothing to write home about.

Bought a pizza stone and it was the worst thing I could imagine to cook anything on. I had to throw away the pizza and the stone because they became permanently bonded while cooking. Since people use these things to cook on, I logically inferred that it was pilot error and I screwed something up bigtime, but I never figred out what it was.

Since my wife and daughter are gluten free and I buy special GF pizza crusts for them, I now just get myself Digiorno frozen pizza. Its about as good as I've been able to find for frozen, but its not exactly fantastic.

mayhem said:
I've made scrath pizza before...came ot ok but nothing to write home about.

Bought a pizza stone and it was the worst thing I could imagine to cook anything on. I had to throw away the pizza and the stone because they became permanently bonded while cooking. Since people use these things to cook on, I logically inferred that it was pilot error and I screwed something up bigtime, but I never figred out what it was.

Since my wife and daughter are gluten free and I buy special GF pizza crusts for them, I now just get myself Digiorno frozen pizza. Its about as good as I've been able to find for frozen, but its not exactly fantastic.

I am new to this, but did you preheat the stone along with the oven?
From what i have read, the stone should be preheated to as high as your oven will go. 500 or so before putting pizza on top.
I luckily had no sticking. I did dust the bottom of the dough with flour and cornmeal.

It was so long ago that I don't recall if I did. I'm usually a directions guy...try a product out as recommended by the manufacturer and then see how bad I can screw it up on my own. For some reason I just had a bad experience, but I know its atypical.

That first pic at the top inspired me though and I ran out for a couple slices at lunch, so thanks!

Here is attempt #2.
Awesome flavor, pepperoni, onion, mushroom, whole sliced tomato. Topped with some basil and grated parmesan.
The crust is perfect, if i could only make a circle.

Attachments

• DSCN4249.jpg
    DSCN4249.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 441
The wife and I whip up our own pizza all the time . . . although we usually cheat and just buy a whole grain pizza dough from the Shop N' Save . . . and we use a metal pan with holes in it . . . I can never get the dough to be a perfect circle . . . my wife can . . . and can even get it to stretch enough to make a stuffed crust pizza . . . one day I should try cooking one in the woodstove.

Lookin' good Fishingpol, i will have to try that one.

Your right on the nail with a pizza stone. Pre heat to 500*, some corn meal and you are good to go. A local wood-fired pizza restaurant gave me the idea fo rbbq chicken pizza. They use goat cheese clumps on theirs, not for me though. They make a carmelized onion, mushroom and sausage pizza that rocks too.

Here is their menu for ideas.

http://www.kruegerflatbread.com/index.php?link=menu

Looks great funk! I prefer thin pizza done on a hot stone, but the wife and kids prefer I make Sicilian.

Here's one from this summer on the grill. No extra toppings, just scratch crust and sauce.

Can't have a better food to experiment with.

pen

Attachments

• pizza.jpg
    pizza.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 391
Thanks for the menu, very interesting.
You are right Pen, no better food to experiment with. And good looking pie.
I like the idea of making enough dough for 3-4 pizzas and freezing or using throughout the week.

PapaDave said:
No stone, bfunk13. I use the cookie sheet like pen. Not preheated. Maybe that's my problem.
No peel to transfer either. I need more gear.

that cookie sheet I have in the picture is stone.

W/ sicilian pizza, you wouldn't want to preheat it as your crust would burn before the dough cooked through.

I do preheat my round stones if I am making thin crust.

Here's a good read on Pizza from Alton Brown

Never tried this recipe but it has great reviews and I enjoyed the episode on TV.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/pizza-pizzas-recipe4/index.html

pen

I have made 5-6 pizzas now.
The last one was by far the best. I would say restaurant quality.
My neighbor jokingly called the other night to order a pizza. He was surprised when i brought one over about 45 minutes later.
It was really good with the cooler full of beer he always has on hand.
I think i finally got my crust just about perfect. This beats pizza hut and dominoes any day.

Here is last nights pie.

Attachments

• DSCN4261.jpg
    DSCN4261.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 353
PapaDave said:
No stone, bfunk13. I use the cookie sheet like pen. Not preheated. Maybe that's my problem.
No peel to transfer either. I need more gear.

Yeah, the stone makes all the difference.
I have read that unglazed quarry tiles can be used as a pizza stone and are about .60 a piece.
I think my stone was $25 and the peel is a cheap wooden one that does the job @ $10.

The dough is really easy and makes enough for 3 pizzas.

Alright. Enough already. :) Now I am hungry and it is all your fault! Going to put a pizza in the oven for lunch right now. I make home made pizza as well. But I have to admit most of the time I find it awfully convenient to just buy the crust at the local grocery store. The deli there sells their own pizza, and will sell you two large rectangular crust for $4. Hard to beat it for time saving. Crust taste good too. Hard to really say it is homemade when you don't make the crust though. All I care about is how it taste. I eat pizza three times a week. Love it.

Gasifier said:
Alright. Enough already. :) Now I am hungry and it is all your fault! Going to put a pizza in the oven for lunch right now. I make home made pizza as well. But I have to admit most of the time I find it awfully convenient to just buy the crust at the local grocery store. The deli there sells their own pizza, and will sell you two large rectangular crust for $4. Hard to beat it for time saving. Crust taste good too. Hard to really say it is homemade when you don't make the crust though. All I care about is how it taste. I eat pizza three times a week. Love it.

I hear ya, i am a pizzaholic. But like i said we don't have any real pizza places in this town.
I should try the pre made dough from our deli. I don't mind making the dough as the wife follows me around cleaning up after me.

Status
Not open for further replies.