first batch of maple syrup for 2012!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

ScotO

Well I'm in the process of finishing off this evening, two gallons bottled and six more to go this evening. Only collected 150 gallons the past four days so we'll boil that off tomorrow. Just drank a tall cool glass of maple milk (whole milk with two tablespoons of maple syrup mixed in) MMMMMMM!!

Attachments

• 2012-02-24_17-50-57_340.jpg
    2012-02-24_17-50-57_340.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 418
very nice they are starting to boil around here too n. vermont. i made a half gallon last year just for my family lol the stuff looked like motor oil good though. can i see some pics of your setup? i am needing some thoughts on a outdoor setup last year i used the gas grill and dont really want to this year. i have plenty of wood so thats not a problem just trying to pick your brain a little.

jrendfrey said:
very nice they are starting to boil around here too n. vermont. i made a half gallon last year just for my family lol the stuff looked like motor oil good though. can i see some pics of your setup? i am needing some thoughts on a outdoor setup last year i used the gas grill and dont really want to this year. i have plenty of wood so thats not a problem just trying to pick your brain a little.
Jr here is a link to my setup
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/91189/

there's a couple of short videos of my cooker and some pics. Check it out and tell me what you think. I made everything except the taps for the trees and the buckets I haul the sap with.

Scotty Overkill said:
Well I'm in the process of finishing off this evening, two gallons bottled and six more to go this evening. Only collected 150 gallons the past four days so we'll boil that off tomorrow. Just drank a tall cool glass of maple milk (whole milk with two tablespoons of maple syrup mixed in) MMMMMMM!!

Looks great Scotty O, looks like I'll try some of that Mapo Milk.

zap

zapny said:
Looks great Scotty O, looks like I'll try some of that Mapo Milk.

zap
Zap I gotta warn ya....once you try that maple milk, yer gonna be hooked!!

Scotty. I don't know how you got your first name, but Overkill is certainly appropriate for your last name.. Thanks a ton for posting all that information (on the other thread). Got my taps, tubing and food grade jugs picked out for next year.

StuckInTheMuck said:
Scotty. I don't know how you got your first name, but Overkill is certainly appropriate for your last name.. Thanks a ton for posting all that information (on the other thread). Got my taps, tubing and food grade jugs picked out for next year.
Yeah my mom gave me my first name my best friend gave me the "overkill'.....lol....thanks, and good luck with your sugarin. Make sure to post pics and get in touch with me when you go to do your setup. Have fun, I know my kids and I love it!

Thanks and will do.. My kids are 4, 2 and -0.5. I'm sure at least two of them will enjoy the process.. We'll have to use a slightly different method to mix the maple milk for the new one when he/she shows up..

StuckInTheMuck said:
We'll have to use a slightly different method to mix the maple milk for the new one when he/she shows up..
:lol: :gulp:

Most every spring I get some Maine maple syrup and maybe some candies sent. Puts that crap (putting it nicely) "syrup" you buy at the grocery stores to shame!

I use a bit on steaks when BBQing, nom nom nom nom.

That's for sure. There is nothing finer than the real thing.

Scotty, One question I do still have is how did you connect the plastic tubing to the cap of the plastic jugs so you wouldn't have to worry about the whole contraption falling apart under the weight of the sap? Thanks.

Looks good!

I see some medium amber in the small bottles?

We got our first usable run last weekend (1200 gallons of sap) and have had 3 runs since then. One producer near me already has 300 gallons of syrup.

Once you start sugaring it gets into your blood.

StuckInTheMuck said:
Scotty, One question I do still have is how did you connect the plastic tubing to the cap of the plastic jugs so you wouldn't have to worry about the whole contraption falling apart under the weight of the sap? Thanks.
I drill a hole through the cap (actually I use a small hole punch similar to the ones leather toolers use and heat it up so it melts the hole through the cap) and use a 5/16" barbed jag (5/16" tubing connector), it has a ridge that will not let it pull through the cap. Believe it or not, that holds the weight of the full jug. I will dig one out later today or tomorrow if I remember and put up a picture of it.

simple.serf said:
Looks good!

I see some medium amber in the small bottles?

We got our first usable run last weekend (1200 gallons of sap) and have had 3 runs since then. One producer near me already has 300 gallons of syrup.

Once you start sugaring it gets into your blood.
Yep thats the early run. I missed out on the light amber, started out too late this year (actually here in central PA I think it came way early this year). And I agree, it's in my blood! I want to do it bigger next year, I would love to be able to finish 100 gallons of syrup sometime in the next several years, last year it was almost 15 gallons finished, so far I have 8 in one weekend. I am on track for around 24 this year. Boiling off the measly 150 gallons of sap I got this week as I write this. Should get around three gallons by late this evening or early tomorrow. I still have to empty my buckets today (don't expect much).

Is it wrong to admit that even though my good friend from high school (and previously his father -- he was the one recently killed when a tree landed on him) has a small commercial sugar shack that I actually prefer the fake stuff in the supermarket . . . I usually try to make it over to my friend's sugar shack at some point . . . and I know I should prefer the real stuff . . . but for some reason I just prefer the fake stuff . . . I blame this on my mother (like I do for many other things) since I grew up eating margarine instead of butter, Minute rice instead of real rice and it wasn't until after college I started preferring provolone or swiss cheese on my subs instead of American "cheese."

Very nice scotty! They look like beer bottles too lol.

Pete

Not so good this year but also mixing maple syrup in snow is great! Trouble is most places don't have snow this year. We have some now.

I am liking some of the different uses I hear....in the milk,on a steak gonna have to try that. I have a good friend that makes syrup every year and has a few other uses. He makes ice cream and just started putting some in with it this last year. I liked his recipe before and now it is even better. Some other uses he has told me about......on fresh fruit or in a glass of iced tea.

Looks tasty Scotty, I wish I could get my hands on some homemade syrup nothing better.

Status
Not open for further replies.