First Bigeye tuna

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Defiant

Vermont Castings Geek
Dec 5, 2007
Old Lyme CT
Headed out at 3:15 am yesterday morning to West Atlantis (115 miles off shore) and had fish in the boat by 7:30 am. We only managed to get 1 out of the 3 in the boat. Other 2 came unbuttoned boatside, but it took every ounce of muscle we had to get this 200 lb. bad boy over the gunnels. We also caught a bunch of Mahi and to end the day landed and released a White Marlin.
100_3895.jpg
100_3914.jpg

Wow, now what do you do with that? Sell it? Bet that was huge fun! I never went after anything larger than a bluefish.

Wow, now what do you do with that? Sell it? Bet that was huge fun! I never went after anything larger than a bluefish.
We steaked it and split it 3 ways. (Could have sold it, maybe if we got the others.) Friends and family will be eating sushi and seared tuna steaks this weekend. I'll have to get a bucket of wasabi and a jug of soy sauce.

Reactions: ScotO
Ohhh - very jealous. Between the tuna and Mahi you have some might fine eating. Always wanted to do that kind of fishing and haven't yet. Some day.

Nice pictures & fish.
Do you use a harpoon when they're that big?
Bet that one filled the freezer ;)

Saw a TV series about commercial fishing for tuna, they get some really big ones & some get away.
They catch several sharks too.

Yes bogy we had to poon him, did not have the big gaff with us, We were expecting to get 30 to 60 lb. yellowfin and albies. Saw lot's of life out on the blue waters, dolphin, manta rays, and all sorts of fish breaking. No sharks this trip.

Boat cruises, did 28 knts in the dark. Bring a bean bag:cool:
Check out defiant on back of Captains shirt.

as I sit here, on Sunday, trying to convince a gentleman to NOT put 24 ga smoke pipe thru his flammable GARAGE wall to vent his wood stove, listening to the reasons why he thinks its safe and will do it anyhow, I look outside, see the beautiful sunny day, thinking of the meat on that bigeye, then thinking of sesame crusted tuna with wasabi mashed potatoes, I ponder the fun and thrills of working on Sunday......GREAT fish, Defiant! Grats!

hmmmm Old Lyme....not all that far.....no invite here either.......

Dang, that's a heck of a tuna! Congrats! The biggest thing I get to catch around here is Walleye but I would love the chance to hook that bad boy!

Reactions: Eatonpcat
Status
Not open for further replies.