first break in fire - slow going - Jotul Castine

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DianeB

Feeling the Heat
Apr 26, 2012
Foot Hills of the Berkshires
Thought is was finally cool enough for the first fire. Did not want to chance poor draft. Just 3 small sticks got it to 200, air intake left wide open and putting out some nice gentle heat. Think our wood a bit damp from the recent rains, got to get them covered with tarp. Should have went to the barn for te drier wood. So far so good.

Was getting smoke from the chimney - is that because if is just burning at 200?

Attachments

• rsz_first_fire.jpg
    rsz_first_fire.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 445
Reactions: Pallet Pete
Nice Install.....what a beauty.
Yup, 200 is pretty low.....probably going to get smoke at those temps....I'd say at a min you want to be at 350 plus
Try bringing a few decent sized splits in from the barn and let them dry out for a few days.
Start out with a small fire, and then add a few decent splits.....gradually start cloing the air control say every 10-15 minues....just a tiny bit on each time..perhaps just a half inch or so...if you have decent dried wood, you should be able to gradually dial off the air almost all the way and you should not see any smoke coming from the chimney. (However, here in Mass its pretty damp out and not too cold temps, so you will probably see some smoke no matter what you do)
Can you provide us your setup? (Type of chimney/liner, and how high is the chimney? Also, how long as your wood been split and stacked?)
Again, very nice install.

Reactions: DianeB
Diane our Jotul rep told us there stoves are best at 300 to 600 range. They also recommended that we put the stove top temp gauge to the center left or right side of the top to get the most accurate heat reading and it has made a world of difference in how we burn based on temps as we where reloading to late and not understanding why it was not hot inside the house. There is a noticeable 150 to 200 degree difference on the gauge from the center to the top side postitions. There reason was it would be much hotter directly over the fire and not provide a proper reading of the stove itself as the sides don't get as hot as fast. The rep told us this was for all there stoves however you may ant to ask your sales rep or Jotul rep just to be sure. I apologize I was going to tell you that earlier but forgot. This is all assuming you have a top temp gauge !

Pete

You may want to try and turn the air down in stages and see what happens then. 200 sounds a little low 400 is a better temp.

Nice Install.....what a beauty.
Yup, 200 is pretty low.....probably going to get smoke at those temps....I'd say at a min you want to be at 350 plus
Try bringing a few decent sized splits in from the barn and let them dry out for a few days.
Start out with a small fire, and then add a few decent splits.....gradually start cloing the air control say every 10-15 minues....just a tiny bit on each time..perhaps just a half inch or so...if you have decent dried wood, you should be able to gradually dial off the air almost all the way and you should not see any smoke coming from the chimney. (However, here in Mass its pretty damp out and not too cold temps, so you will probably see some smoke no matter what you do)
Can you provide us your setup? (Type of chimney/liner, and how high is the chimney? Also, how long as your wood been split and stacked?)
Again, very nice install.
Brand new masonry chimney - had to tear the old one down in the spring, long story. The mason did add loose insulation between the bricks and the clay liner before he capped off the top - is actually a double chimney where second flue goes to the basement. Our stove is vented in the rear up through the throat of the fire place with a cap off plate. The liner is stainless, not insulated because the chimney itself is. I think it it 15 1/2 feet - . The jotul manual says to do 3 break in fires. 200, 300 and 400 - each for one hour. Tomorrow morning we will do the 300 fire and tomorrow night the 400.

You may want to try and turn the air down in stages and see what happens then. 200 sounds a little low 400 is a better temp.
I guess it is at 200 just to break it in, following the manual althouhg would have loved to see a bigger fire tonight. Tomorrow am we will do the 300 fire and tomorrow night, the 400 - then we are good to go

Diane our Jotul rep told us there stoves are best at 300 to 600 range. They also recommended that we put the stove top temp gauge to the center left or right side of the top to get the most accurate heat reading and it has made a world of difference in how we burn based on temps as we where reloading to late and not understanding why it was not hot inside the house. There is a noticeable 150 to 200 degree difference on the gauge from the center to the top side postitions. There reason was it would be much hotter directly over the fire and not provide a proper reading of the stove itself as the sides don't get as hot as fast. The rep told us this was for all there stoves however you may ant to ask your sales rep or Jotul rep just to be sure. I apologize I was going to tell you that earlier but forgot. This is all assuming you have a top temp gauge !

Pete
Pete - I do have a magnetic gage from Condar. I have 2 actually putting them on the left side and right side. The top plate of the Castine is pretty narrow I have them centered 2 inches in from the front and back - they were both reading the same temp. A friend told me to get 2 and use the 2nd one occaisionally as it may show up higher temps on one side than another which could be a gasket problem. Since it was a new stove, I did this and glad both sides of the stove reading the sampe temp.

Reactions: Pallet Pete
Pete - I do have a magnetic gage from Condar. I have 2 actually putting them on the left side and right side. The top plate of the Castine is pretty narrow I have them centered 2 inches in from the front and back - they were both reading the same temp. A friend told me to get 2 and use the 2nd one occaisionally as it may show up higher temps on one side than another which could be a gasket problem. Since it was a new stove, I did this and glad both sides of the stove reading the sampe temp.

That is an excellent idea Diane I might steal that one ;) Good to hear they are the same temp !

Pete

Let start, this is my first year burning. I have a new Napoleon 1402 insert, the fireplace is located about center of the house. This fireplace was open double sided, which stole more heat that it put out. I have a lined insulated pipe, I have what is called salt box house with a loft. My house is 24 x 36, I have used it a few times, I really don't have a draft problem it drafts good I have found I just start the fire with a flash add wood and about 15 minutes later I close the draft. How many pieces of wood should I put in at one time? Can you stuff it to the top with wood? My friend said she thinks there is too much draft, because he said there should not be so much flame. If I full the inset half way full it lasts about 3 hrs, I am heating with ash right now. What do I need to get a 8 hr burn?

Let start, this is my first year burning. I have a new Napoleon 1402 insert, the fireplace is located about center of the house. This fireplace was open double sided, which stole more heat that it put out. I have a lined insulated pipe, I have what is called salt box house with a loft. My house is 24 x 36, I have used it a few times, I really don't have a draft problem it drafts good I have found I just start the fire with a flash add wood and about 15 minutes later I close the draft. How many pieces of wood should I put in at one time? Can you stuff it to the top with wood? My friend said she thinks there is too much draft, because he said there should not be so much flame. If I full the inset half way full it lasts about 3 hrs, I am heating with ash right now. What do I need to get a 8 hr burn?

jennifer welcome to the forums ! If you go the the Hearth room forum and post a new thread by clicking the post a new thread button you will get far more advice and views.

Diane,

Doing fine when it comes to the burn in fires. Does the manual recommend that placement for the thermometers on the Castine? On my F-600 it recommends the corners for the thermometer placement. Just wondering.

As for the smoke, at the lower temps you probably are not getting the stove hot enough for the secondaries to really kick in. As you do the higher temp burn in fires you will probably see less smoke coming from the stack.

Just remember even after the burn in fires to not bring the temps up too quickly. Follow the gradual approach recommended in earlier responses. Enjoy that stove!

Hi Diane Beautiful Castine nice stove... lot diff than your Momma Bear- With care the Jotul will last a long time- Castine was intro'd about 10 yrs ago orig was a double front door the single door came out about 2 years later ur doing it right break in fires they want 200 300 400 degs in succession to drive out moisture in the furnace cement in the casting joints and let the stove get broken in (the cast). Sometimes during break-in fires you'll see furnace cement dripping down or oozing (mostly from rear leg area) if it happens wipe away with damp cloth you'll hear it sizzle too- In burning you'll note glass gets a lil dirty at outer edges/corners airwash not as strong there but the fireviewing is wonderful. Nice choice temp range ideal 350-700 stovetop if on stovepipe about 100-120 less. Good luck with ur new Jotul sold them for years burned them (the Oslo blue black enamel) too, the Oslo being my favorite. Now an Enviro/VC dealer I'd have Jotul if possible...

Stovelark
Enviro EF3 pellet
Enviro Kodiak 1700 FS wood
Enviro Empress FPI AC pellet

Diane,

Doing fine when it comes to the burn in fires. Does the manual recommend that placement for the thermometers on the Castine? On my F-600 it recommends the corners for the thermometer placement. Just wondering.

As for the smoke, at the lower temps you probably are not getting the stove hot enough for the secondaries to really kick in. As you do the higher temp burn in fires you will probably see less smoke coming from the stack.

Just remember even after the burn in fires to not bring the temps up too quickly. Follow the gradual approach recommended in earlier responses. Enjoy that stove!
got the manual as one of my coffee table books - checked it, figure 12 shows placement. They are at either end of the top plate, but centered. Stove now cold, will restart in the am

Reactions: remkel
Status
Not open for further replies.