First burn ever!(Pic)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ziprich

Sep 19, 2011
Western Md (Hagerstown)
Well it wasn't really cold enough to burn my new stove, but i couldn't resist! So the burn went well and i figured how to work the stove pretty easy, but the thing smoked so bad the smoke detector went off. Not smoke from the wood, but smoke from the paint and stuff on the stove burning for the first time. My question is will the stove do this anymore, or was it a one time thing? Thanks!

Attachments

• DSC_0003.jpg
    DSC_0003.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 824
Until you get it to temps that it will always run at there will be a little as you reach each new temp.

But nothing like that first burn. Enjoy.

Nice looking stove, is it a Harman?
A few more times of paint smell and one last time on a cold night when you let her rip.

Time to update your sig

The owners manual for my new Lopi, and the guys that installed it, had instructions for break in and said it would smell/smoke the first few times.

Enjoy the new stove and have fun learning all of its nuances before you know it it will seem like an old friend.

Congrats on your 1st burn! This is a good time to break in the stove and bake the paint.. Make sure you open all the windows and use a box fan to blow the fumes out.. What do you have for a stove?

Ray

Hey Ziprich,

Congrats on the first fire. I hope you broke it in with three fires each a little bigger than the other. The smell will go away after the first few burns. Nice fire I hope it'll keep you happy this winter. You should put Harman TL300 on your signature so people know what kind of stove you have.
Have fun!

My stove is a TL300. I also forgot to mention that when the smoke detector went off it triggered my alarm system, and thanks to my little girl taking the phone off the hook, by the time they called my cell they had already dispatched the fire department!!! I had them send in a false alarm code, but it was to late the firetruck pulled up and shined a big ass light on my house! I felt so bad for wasting there time, it was pretty embarrassing. But i guess at this point its just a funny story to tell. Although it wasn't so funny last night!

Congrats on the first of many. Take the money you save on heating and put it into the college fund.
Good luck.

It will keep smoking from time to time as you reach higher temps . . . after a few weeks there will be no more smell . . . until one day when you're not paying attention and it gets wicked hot . . . in which case the smell at that point will help serve as a warning device to you . . . ;) :)

We have an all electric house and we just bought a harman tl300, for supplement and emergency heat. Have not got it set up yet, did you do a new install or replacement? curious on some info about how to install mine!

Oklaguy77 said:
We have an all electric house and we just bought a harman tl300, for supplement and emergency heat. Have not got it set up yet, did you do a new install or replacement? curious on some info about how to install mine!

Okla, welcome to the forums !!!

Start your own thread for best result, with your stove & main question in the title.

It'll work :)

Throw a fan in a window - blowing out for the first few burns. Hopefully that'll keep the firefighters away.

Congrats on the first burn!

Nothing like breaking in a new stove, almost like that new car smell.

Status
Not open for further replies.