First Burn on a Summit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GeneralBill

Sep 30, 2009
Western OR
Finally got the stove set in. It was placed on a hearth base of rough used red brick. Having an OAK, I needed to make the surface level, which involved outlining the base, then dremelling down the high spots. The new "moat" was filled with wet mortar mix prior to placement to fill the remaing gaps.

Years ago, when I first saw the stoves with glass fronts, I thought "I'll bet they're sacrificing efficiency for this glitzy gimmick."

Now that the stove is burning, "Wow!" On one of the times I came in to see how it was doing and I slipped into a trance. The burn is a lot different than a campfire. The stove looks great from a distance, but the view of the flames up close is fascinating. Lots of paint smoke through the day, at one point, high pitched sounds were coming out of the house. Turns out all three smoke alarms were going. The glass is still real clean.

Thanks for all the info that helped with the decision,

Bill

Bill_in_CV said:
Finally got the stove set in. It was placed on a hearth base of rough used red brick. Having an OAK, I needed to make the surface level, which involved outlining the base, then dremelling down the high spots. The new "moat" was filled with wet mortar mix prior to placement to fill the remaing gaps.

Years ago, when I first saw the stoves with glass fronts, I thought "I'll bet they're sacrificing efficiency for this glitzy gimmick."

Now that the stove is burning, "Wow!" On one of the times I came in to see how it was doing and I slipped into a trance. The burn is a lot different than a campfire. The stove looks great from a distance, but the view of the flames up close is fascinating. Lots of paint smoke through the day, at one point, high pitched sounds were coming out of the house. Turns out all three smoke alarms were going. The glass is still real clean.

Thanks for all the info that helped with the decision,

Bill

Congrats, enjoy!

You are going to love the Summit, I really miss mine but I simply couldn't have 2 huge wood stoves in the house so I switched one to a gas freestanding stove. Having 2 young kids it was too hard to fill and keep 2 stoves going in the winter. I am sure when the little guys turn into big guys I will have another wood stove if we move into a different house. That Summit will give you some nice long burns :)

Status
Not open for further replies.