First chimney clean with new set up.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HJsimpson

Burning Hunk
Apr 17, 2011
NE Indiana
Today it was to warm to burn so i decided to see how dirty the chimney was. Ive been starting a fire with a cold stove almost everynight through the week then keep it going all weekend.
This is an all new setup with 33 feet of new class A and about 4 feet of single wall pipe. Im still learning the new stove and with the warmer weather i have done about everything wrong at least once. Too much wood, not enough air, a couple of smoldering burns, filled basement with smoke twice and tested smoke alarms. I am starting to get the hang of it now but not there completely yet.
So this is what i got with my sooteater today. It was about 3 times what is in the pics until i pulled pan up from cleanout and the wind blew it out.
Id say around a 1/2 to 3/4 of a cup total with about half of it being a little shiny. I dont think it was to bad, what do you guys think?

Attachments

• 2011-11-13_10-42-12_172.jpg
    2011-11-13_10-42-12_172.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 267
  • 2011-11-13_10-42-34_933.jpg
    2011-11-13_10-42-34_933.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 254
hey thats alot better than my sweeping today i had a good 4 whole cups of the black stuff.
and i think i have been only burning steady for 5 weeks (i think maybe more)
good for you mine was much worse

Most will say that isn't bad and I will too but only because you've cleaned the chimney so soon. When you get that much after an entire winter's burning, then I'll for sure say its not that bad. You will get better as time goes and as you learn the stove better and especially when you learn the super advantage of having premium dry wood. In 4 years we've got about a cup of soot and no black stuff like that. Ours is the brown stuff with maybe a sprinkling of back at most.

Not bad . . . but as Dennis said . . . run it for a winter and then see what you're doing . . . that will give you a better idea . . . this time of year is tough to guage sometimes since you may not be running full time, you may not be running the stove at full speed so to speak, etc.

Thanks guys.
Ive been burning everynight and all weekends for about a month just trying things out before it get cold. Compared to my set up and wood from last year i cant help to be a little happy with the results even though i know im jumping the gun on the first clean. I have been checking weekly and will continue to clean once a month until i get comfortable with the new setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.