First Cleaning after Homestead Year--Block-off/Insulate?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thinkxingu

Minister of Fire
Jun 3, 2007
S.NH
Hi All,
Just had my chimney/stove cleaned after our first year of burning with the Homestead. I estimate we used about 1.5 cords, burning a weeknight or two and every weekend/school vacation weeks. Used just under 1-year-old maple and 1.5-year-old oak. Chimney sweep said we had very little build-up and that we could go two years if we used drier wood and burned the same.
There is no block-off or insulation around the liner (full), the cap is very well blocked off. The original installers said there'd be less creosote buildup if the air surrounding the liner was warm and, accordingly, not to insulate or put a block-off plate in. The stove is mostly out of the fireplace (just the very back, steel portion in) and it kept our upstairs at 70 in the coldest of weather last year. This summer, I replaced all 16 of our windows, all 5 of our doors, and installed 1/2" insulated/taped foam under new vinyl siding.

SO: should I do anything to the install, i.e. block-off/insulation?!

Thanks, and hope you're all well,

S

If it ain't broke, you should not try to fix it.

Put a block off plate at the damper frame in that chimney. You ain't gonna believe how much more heat you get out into the house. The liner will keep enough heat in that chimney without any help.

Heat your house. Not New Hampshire.

Bart, I've not looked at the inside yet, but the chimney sweep mentioned that the damper frame had to be removed to fit the liner through--what would I attach a plate to?
Also, I need the surround to make clearances--will that make a difference on how much heat will come out from the fireplace? I'm assuming the heat coming off the stove portion outside of the fireplace is getting into my room and that only the heat from the stove portion in the fireplace is going up, yes?

S

Really no way to know. Like Da Savage says, if it is working keep on doing it. But a seven buck piece of sheet metal from the ducting section at Lowe's is a cheap way to make a block off plate and find out. There are instructions for making one in the hearth wiki.

Edit: What surround?

I'd just stuff some rockwool insulation up in that damper area.

Bart: the surround for my Homestead--the one made by Hearthstone to reduce clearances (see pic). My stove sits out just a bit farther than the one in the pic.

Todd, I was thinking about doing that, but will the insulation reflect the heat/reduce heat loss up chimney effectively?

S

Attachments

• product_photo_19_60.jpg
    product_photo_19_60.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 282
Heh, just cleaned mine today too.
My installer told me the same thing about letting warm air up the chimney. Fortunately I'd been lurking on here enough to know that wasn't the best way to avoid creosote, & preferred keeping the heat in my house, so I did the block-off plate & insulated the liner. My feeling was that the stove guys didn't like doing block-off plates, so didn't recomend them.
If you're really concerned about more creo you could try the rockwool for a couple months, then get up there & check things out. Brushes are only about $15 and the fibergalss rods $7 per 4' section around here. The all-out option would be full block-plate with rockwool on top, then pour in thermix insulation from the top. Woodland direct sells it cheap & it's easy to use.

Center chimney, or exterior? If exterior, it has to be stealing heat. If center, not so much.

Yeah, guess I'd just assumed exterior chimney. If interior, no need to insulate, but block-off plate will give you more heat & creo shouldn't be a prob.

thinkxingu said:
The original installers said there'd be less creosote buildup if the air surrounding the liner was warm and, accordingly, not to insulate or put a block-off plate in.

Per Brother Bart, these may be the guys who also said there'd be less snow buildup if the air surrounding the front steps was warm and, accordingly, not to put a front door in.

Actually with a surround like that I wouldn't be to concerned about a block off plate. The surround if sealed is a block off plate.

branchburner said:
thinkxingu said:
The original installers said there'd be less creosote buildup if the air surrounding the liner was warm and, accordingly, not to insulate or put a block-off plate in.

Per Brother Bart, these may be the guys who also said there'd be less snow buildup if the air surrounding the front steps was warm and, accordingly, not to put a front door in.
LOL :p Exactly!

Bart, it's not a sealed surround--it just sits against the brick. It does have louvres inside, though, that aim towards the room. It looks like it's designed to guide the rising air into the room.

As for inside/outside, it's both--the chimney is part of the end wall of my house.

S

Status
Not open for further replies.