First ever stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jronau

Hi,

I'm from southern Indiana. I decided to purchase a new stove (Pacific Energy Super 27). Everyone seemed to have good reviews for this stove on this forum. Any idea on aging wood for existing 2+ year dead standing trees or 1+ year dead fallen trees? I'm pretty exited to be able finally burn, although I do think I'll have to purchase wood this year. Hopefully I can build a good supply next year. This has been a great forum for information.

Thanks,

Josh

Congrats on your new stove Josh. There are too many variables (type of tree, size, etc.) to give you a simple answer. I can tell you this. Yesterday I cut and split a freshly fallen 30-40 foot ash tree. It was standing dead for a few years. The splits ranged from 22% to 35% with a new moisture meter, depending on the various branches and trunk pieces. Pop for $12 on a Harbor Freight moisture meter and take some of the guesswork out of it.

There are a lot of variables when it comes to standing dead wood . . . the species (oak with a long time requirement vs. dead cherry with a short time requirement), how long they've been dead (I have had elm with the bark falling off the tree which has been pretty decent after having been dead for several years vs. wood that was still green even though it was dead for a year or two), size (the larger wood --especially near the trunk is often still too green to burn, but smaller wood in the branches may be good to go), etc. Some wood can be bucked up and burned that day, other wood needs a few weeks to a few months and some wood needs to be seasoned up to a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.