First Fire!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mroverkill

Feeling the Heat
Aug 10, 2010
Northern nj
overkillauto.com
well inspector gave me the go ahead and now its up and running to do a burn off WOAH the fumes

Attachments

• fire.jpg
    fire.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 342
I know you're excited...as you well should be...but I took the liberty of editing your thread title just a bit. Mostly to lose the all-caps feature. We're all right here, no need to shout. :) Congratulations, looks great...but as North of 60 asked, what is it? Rick

Heck, let's have a "Guess The Stove Contest".

I vote Drolet.

Check that. Drolet puts the handle on the wrong side of the door.

ok ok its fixed gezzzzzzzz lol kidding thanks for the cap fix

I was thinking maybe it belonged in the Pellet forum. :roll:

Ahh...a Quad 4300. Very nice! Keep us posted...open a window so you're not overcome by the paint curing ritual. Rick

A MTD splitter and a steel stove. MY MAN!! My Duerr splitter was sold by MTD at the time I bought it.

BrotherBart said:
A MTD splitter and a steel stove. MY MAN!! My Duerr splitter was sold by MTD at the time I bought it.

Yeah, man. I got an MTD splitter and two steel stoves. Love 'em all. Maybe we need our own separate forum. We'll call ourselves the "Practical, No-nonsense, Git 'er Done Group"...or maybe fewer words to that same, or a similar, effect. Or not. :smirk: Rick

BeGreen can kid his self about that cast iron wrapper but the fact remains that the three mods in the hearth room all heat the joint with steel stoves. :cheese:

One of them even has the door handle on the proper side. :lol:

BrotherBart said:
BeGreen can kid his self about that cast iron wrapper but the fact remains that the three mods in the hearth room all heat the joint with steel stoves. :cheese:

I have two on the proper side, actually. :coolsmile:

i have EVERY door and window open now its getting better. for some black soot on the coner of the glass other then that a bit of smoke on startup and all good now

if i had a teg guage on this stove whats a Safe temp to run this at and when do you start to hit the OVERFIRE state

The window's always gonna get dirty over time, and you're gonna figure out what way and how often cleaning it works for you. The manual should address temps. A thermometer is a very good thing to have. The break-in fires, generally, are recommended to be done gradually. Bring the stove up to a moderate temp with a small fire, then let it die out and cool all back down. Then build a somewhat bigger fire next time, bring it up a bit higher, then the same. Then let 'er rip hot for an hour or so, and that paint'll be cured. Check your manual, though, because Quad may recommend a different procedure. Rick

Steel stoves don't need a lot of babying in break in. And everybody on this forum will argue with me but cruise that puppy at five to six hundred degrees and it will heat ya for a long time. Join the "Oh hell I run it at 800 to 1,000 all day long." crowd and be ready to have a warped piece of crap sitting there five or six years from now.

BrotherBart said:

I have no doubt that I'm burning in a steel stove with a cast iron tux. I drive a hybrid and burn in one too. Both are good performers. And one has the handle just the way I like it. :) The other has this kind of odd shift handle that you get used to.

For the life of me I cannot figure out why a right handed person would want to be loading wood in their stove with their left hand. Just fascinates me. And I admit that I am easily fascinated.

Somebody please finally tell me what is so great about a stove door that opens from wrong to right?

Had a frozen right shoulder several years back and had to make my left hand work or be out of work so I'm ambidextrous. But I still have more control with my right hand. A left hand handle has to be opened with? - the right hand. Good start. Our kindling container is on the left side of the stove. So, open with right hand, set up the fire with fuel on the left of the stove, close with right hand. The left handle is exactly right for us. When feeding the stove with big splits it really doesn't matter which way it opens. The door still needs to be fully opened to avoid getting burned.

BrotherBart said:
Steel stoves don't need a lot of babying in break in. And everybody on this forum will argue with me but cruise that puppy at five to six hundred degrees and it will heat ya for a long time. Join the "Oh hell I run it at 800 to 1,000 all day long." crowd and be ready to have a warped piece of crap sitting there five or six years from now.

Yeah, those steel stoves just can't take the heat. If you need it hot, get a cast iron stove, the same stuff they make exhaust manifolds out of. :p

You guys really need a moderator's forum. You guys kinda left Mroverkill in the dust here. Thats my job to get the OPs off topic.
Did somone say Cat or Pine? :lol: Enjoy that new stove of yours by the way Mroverkill.
Cheers

north of 60 said:
You guys really need a moderator's forum.

We have one. It's pretty boring. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.