First Fire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LLigetfa

Minister of Fire
Nov 9, 2008
NW Ontario
Finally got cold enough to make a fire. First one of the season. Got the burnt dust smell now.

Bought a new Nothwoods tote at Menards. Time will tell if I like it or not. First impression is it's not as simple to dump as my old one was.

lt-119x104.gif

I give ya credit, I've been burning off and on for about a month. I bought this firewood caddy from Lowes last winter. I don't remember how much but me thinks it was around $40. Fully loaded I can run the 13 almost 24hrs if memory serves. I went to Lowes every Monday night while my daughter was at dance class to kill time and eventually it went on clearance.

I keep my wood in a garage that a car can't be parked in due to no access. Just wheel it out filler up and boom, all done.

Attachments

• log caddy.jpg
    log caddy.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 403
Everything here looks familiar. I have two carts just like that and two of the totes just like the one LL has. The carts bring it from the shed into the breezeway and the tote brings it the rest of the way.

I love that tote because crud doesn't fall out of the ends.

BrotherBart said:
I love that tote because crud doesn't fall out of the ends.
Ja, that was why I chose it.
My old tote is open at the ends and when I want to empty it, I can just release one handle and let the wood roll off of it. This closed tote I have to lift the splits out of. Once I have just t few left, I can flip it over and dump the rest.

ckarotka said:
I bought this firewood caddy from Lowes last winter. I don't remember how much but me thinks it was around $40.

I keep my wood in a garage that a car can't be parked in due to no access. Just wheel it out filler up and boom, all done.

Nice! Thanks for posting the pic, so I could read Landmann on it. A little Googling, and Amazon has it for $40--sweet!

http://www.amazon.com/Landmann-82427-Caddy-Cover-Black/dp/B0017K651A

Thanks for the tip.

ckarotka said:
I give ya credit, I've been burning off and on for about a month. I bought this firewood caddy from Lowes last winter. I don't remember how much but me thinks it was around $40. Fully loaded I can run the 13 almost 24hrs if memory serves. I went to Lowes every Monday night while my daughter was at dance class to kill time and eventually it went on clearance.

That's what I have - BTW - you can stack wood almost to the handle above the wheels. A really full load to that handle lasts me 3-4 days depending on wood and outside temp. I just park it near the stove - no wood box here.

EDIT: Bought on clearance Spring of '09 at HD for around $18.

Shari

Shari said:
ckarotka said:

That's what I have - BTW - you can stack wood almost to the handle above the wheels. A really full load to that handle lasts me 3-4 days depending on wood and outside temp. I just park it near the stove - no wood box here.

Shari

Ya it holds a nice amount of wood. When it gets cold I really load her up and even use a bungee cord to get a few more splits in it. I love being able to carry in that much wood with out lifting it. Also when the snow comes I park it on a boot mat for the melting process.

LLigetfa said:
Finally got cold enough to make a fire. First one of the season. Got the burnt dust smell now.

Bought a new Nothwoods tote at Menards. Time will tell if I like it or not. First impression is it's not as simple to dump as my old one was.

lt-119x104.gif

This year I have been using the big blue Ikea bags - holds lots of wood, is quite strong, and quite cheap. Will you guys know if lasts all year.

Why aren't you guys using paper bags from the grocery store? Put wood in, shove bag in stove, shut lid.

tiber said:
Why aren't you guys using paper bags from the grocery store? Put wood in, shove bag in stove, shut lid.

That's original! We don't have paper bags at the grocery store, though - they tell us to bring our own reusable bags or to pay for plastic ones.

ckarotka said:
Shari said:
ckarotka said:

Shari

Ya it holds a nice amount of wood. When it gets cold I really load her up and even use a bungee cord to get a few more splits in it. I love being able to carry in that much wood with out lifting it. Also when the snow comes I park it on a boot mat for the melting process.

How well do these do on stairs? The reason I ask is that I have to lug my wood up a deck (16 steps - straight up). I wonder if the wheels are large enough to be able to pull/bump up steps... I've debated on such a thing if the wheels were large enough.

Slow1,

I think it works great for stairs. The wheels are around 10". I go up three steps when I bring wood in with out any issues.

There must be a point of diminishing returns. I think much bigger wheels would be worse on stairs. The wheel should be small enough to be able to rest on each step.

LLigetfa said:
There must be a point of diminishing returns. I think much bigger wheels would be worse on stairs. The wheel should be small enough to be able to rest on each step.

Right. Once the wheel diameter is twice the tread depth, it's always going to want to roll downstairs. I think code for tread depth is around 8", so 10" wheels should work well. HTH!

Status
Not open for further replies.