First full burn in Fireview Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RandyG

Dec 22, 2010
Central Fla
I have had 4 break in fires, small fires that didn't get the stovetop above 350, well tonite I'm having my first real burn with my stove top now reaching 475. Well, I guess my break in fires wasn't hot enough because tonite the paint smell is worse than it has ever been, at one point it even set off my smoke alarms :grrr: , I thought we were past this, guess not. But my question is, at one point earlier I had flames in my cat area and my stainless steel bottom plate was glowing red like the cat, is this normal? There were no flames in my firebox at the time, I'm thinking its fine but just want to make sure I'm running this thing right, thanks!! :gulp:

I am sure you are, heck let it cool down, do it again tommorow little more each day, the heat from that stone will keep you warm for awhile.

Hey Randy, I also have a fireview myself and done the same break in fires you done, and the paint smell that we were getting was coming from the new double wall stove pipe we installed on the fireview, don't worry the smell will go away after a good hot burn. just watch your stove top temps and don't overfire your stove, as for the the cat that thing will get cherry red and it is normal and the stainless bottom plate should not be a issue. just watch your stove top temps.

Thanks guys, I thought it was fine, I have just never seen it that bright and with flames in that area. I have been waiting a long time to have a hot burn and it has been worth it, very neat to watch and the heat is relaxing...love it, the down side is were back in the 80's next week....Major bummer.....

Once in awhile I see my s/s scoop glow and also some bursting on and off flames inside the screen next to the cat but this is usually when I burn the stove hot for awhile then turn it down to a low cat burn. It doesn't last long and I think it's ok as long as the flames aren't getting sucked into the cat.

The smell thing will come back every time you burn a higher temp but it will go away after a few hot fires. Keep us posted, you have a great stove, it should serve you well.

I get the secondary flames burning inside the SS air scoop and lasting for a good while when the stove is hot and the air is low. :) It happens regularly enough that I asked Woodstock if this constitutes flame impingement. They said no. . .impingement = sucking flames through the cat with too much draft.

I had the same issue after my first burns. My daughter even asked if it was going to stink all the time. It actually took about 5 burns to rid the smell but it's gone and humming right along now.

f v

You will usually get the smell every time you reach an all time new high temp. Just and FYI.

Thanks for all the info, this was the hottest I've ever burned the stove to date so all these things with the smell and the flames in the cat compartment seem to go with these higher temps, its just all new to me. I have noticed one other thing and that is my glass is getting soot on the two bottom corners, this could be my wood, the moisture readings are good but its not quite seasoned a yr but its all I have, no sizzling though or I just haven't got the firebox hot enough on a consistent basis. I've read on this forum that this will go away in time with hotter fires, hopefully!!Any other thoughts please advise, thanks....

Randy, we got black on the glass during break-in fires but nothing since then. As for the paint smell, it could be from the stove or more likely from the flue pipe. We had this problem on our last install. Our new black pipe stunk for a long time. We were all ready to replace it and thankfully it stopped. We were told that sometimes the pipe will do this and they had replaced some pipe in the past. But thankfully our pipe quit stinking and all has been well since then.

fwiw, the next time it starts stinking or smoking, light a couple of candles.

Todd said:
Once in awhile I see my s/s scoop glow and also some bursting on and off flames inside the screen next to the cat but this is usually when I burn the stove hot for awhile then turn it down to a low cat burn. It doesn't last long and I think it's ok as long as the flames aren't getting sucked into the cat.

The smell thing will come back every time you burn a higher temp but it will go away after a few hot fires. Keep us posted, you have a great stove, it should serve you well.

+1

Keep working your stove too. Your glass will get some black on it as the stove interior cement (or whatever that stuff is) cures and moisture is driven out of the stone. I don't have the SS scoop, but have a SS cat. I get far more secondaries floating around in my firebox with the SS cat than I ever did with the ceramic one. As you burn hotter and hotter and the temps plunge, your glass will burn clear (except for a temp overnight darkening on a super low burn) and stay clear.

You got a super great stove.

Good luck,
Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.