first high temp burn in clydesdale

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

phenolic

Dec 8, 2010
central TX
today was my 4th or 5th burn in the new clydesdale and i wanted to get her heated up and try get any off gassing done today vs tomorrow when family will be here. i loaded it up and ran it w/ the draft wide open while keeping an eye on the temp. once it hit 400 it really started climbing fast. around 550 i turned the blower on high and pushed the draft fully closed and it kept burning and temp kept climbing which made me a little nervous but it calmed down after about 10min and temp started decreasing shortly after.

i was at the upper limit of the 'burn zone' on the rutland magnetic. just wondering if anyone out there has overshot this line before and what the results where.

merry christmas and stay warm

Attachments

• photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 311
  • photo3.jpg
    photo3.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 312
Sounds like we have a successful liftoff, congratulations. The burn zones on the thermometer are relative and meant for surface flue pipe temps. Go by the temp and you will be ok. Next time close down the air earlier at around 400-450F. The temp will still climb, but less fuel heat will be wasted up the flue as secondary combustion kicks in.

PS: Someone really appreciates the new insert. That is one blissed out dog.

I overshot by a bunch one time, temp read 750!! It was only there briefly but it didn't seem to affect anything. I don't intend to try it again though.

I've had mine pegged to 800 (stove pipe) a couple of times. No major problems other than smelling a bit hot. I wouldn't recommend it on a regular basis. I lend the no problem to proper installation and shutting it down as soon as i noticed and smelled it. If you follow specs and have your clearences ok and or extra protection an over heat isn't normally a too much of a problem. Often, more a scare and procedure reminder than real damage.

jmho

cass

I've hit 550 and 600 occassionally but try not to regularly. I took my warming rack off the top of Clyde and placed the thermo right next to the draft bolt. Based on IR gun readings this was the hotest part of the stove.

Thanks for the photo of your thermometer placement. I had tried different places on my Clydesdale but was not registering more than 250. Once I placed it half hidden like you did, I found it was burning 150 degrees hotter.

Just had mine installed 12/14 and it's been cold in CT so it's been running about 90% of the time. What I've really enjoyed is relaxing in shorts if I want to.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.