First pellet delivery

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rawlic

Nov 6, 2010
NW NJ
Two tons of Hardwood Heat delivered today. They're stacked in my garage, meaning my car is outside. Now, I need to find a way to get my car back in.

Enjoy moving them around I moved three ton a couple weeks ago so I could get the car in the garage and the doors open on the drivers side.

Then I moved several other items around to get an additional 5 ton in the garage. Once they are in the garage I'll re stack things so they are in 1.5 ton stacks. that'll get rid of two pallets as I'll be able to add a half ton of another pellet to the fourth stack. That should allow me to put some of the things I moved in a better place than it was.

The pallets will go with the other five I already have so I can add to my compost bins. By next spring I should have two three bin compost piles and a good start on the third.

Waste not, want not.

It's a nice feeling having having your stash of pellets finally in the garage :)

I'm storing this year's pellet on my front porch since I moved my stove to the living room this season... but I only have room for one ton at a time.

I'm now thinking about how I can either make room for more pellets out front near the front door or how I could build a bin, disguise it with siding, and buy a couple tons of bulk pellets for next year...

Buying bulk only saves me about $20.00 per ton but having to just go out and get a pail full at a time would save my ancient back and knees...

You put your car in the garage????

My wife says thats what the garage is for, but I'm not sure I believe her.

tgang50 said:
do you reall burn more than a ton through the winter? 5 tons seems like a lot of pellets.

Not if the temperature gets down in the single digits for a long stretch climatologically speaking we are on average below freezing from now until March 18 of next year.

My good friend Bucky Beaver's pond and brook is ice covered. My chickens complain about lack of heat and they don't like solid water.

tgang50 said:
do you reall burn more than a ton through the winter? 5 tons seems like a lot of pellets.

I remember a few years back that the month of Jan the Temp never got above ZERO.. so yea, i think 5 tons is a bit low for temps in the house to stay warm...

samm6 said:
tgang50 said:

I remember a few years back that the month of Jan the Temp never got above ZERO.. so yea, i think 5 tons is a bit low for temps in the house to stay warm...

Yep you guys in northern Vermont are in cold country.

I have it slightly warmer here. The low average daily here is 18 degrees. We have a fairly wide range in temperature over the course of a year.

The coldest recorded in Maine was -50 and I believe that 103 was the hottest.

I wasn't where the -50 happened but I did participate in the 103 event, in fact I was helping someone move.

SmokeyTheBear said:
samm6 said:
tgang50 said:

I have it slightly warmer here. The low average daily here is 18 degrees. We have a fairly wide range in temperature over the course of a year.

I wasn't where the -50 happened but I did participate in the 103 event, in fact I was helping someone move.

With an average snow fall of 245" and that Great Arctic blast they call a Jet Stream, it gets pretty darn Brutal Here. Coldest i was in was on top of the Mnt 3600 ft with the windchill -86

A consistant -40 at the house the same day..... I really got a winter crash course on Vehicles that year.....

samm6 said:
SmokeyTheBear said:
samm6 said:
tgang50 said:

With an average snow fall of 245" and that Great Arctic blast they call a Jet Stream, it gets pretty darn Brutal Here. Coldest i was in was on top of the Mnt 3600 ft with the windchill -86

A consistant -40 at the house the same day..... I really got a winter crash course on Vehicles that year.....

As well as a course in heating the house.

One thing I never leave to chance, is making certain there is fuel in all tanks and extra pellets for the stove.

I have no intentions of being without heat and food.

I use 9- 10 tons of pellets per year to heat my house and hot water with my PB105.

Status
Not open for further replies.