First pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brihvac

Feb 20, 2011
North Wilmington, DE
Always wanted one, and after getting a $435 gas bill the wife agreed. We were looking at the Harmen Acccentra insert but the prices were more than we could part with right now. I went on Craigslist and saw a Enviro Milan display model for $1500. It was a 2 hour drive, but the night before I was going down to look at it I saw a 3yr old Harmen Accentra insert posted that day. It was on the way so I contacted them and stopped down on the way to look at the Enviro. The guy had it running when I got there. It was nice, and was even the brownish one that we had wanted. He had just had it cleaned, and a new combustion blower put in. He even showed me the receipt and the old motor. I offered him $1700 and he took it. We pulled it out, loaded it in my truck, and he even gave me a bag of pellets. Beats paying $3,799
I just had my rotator cuff done, so as soon as I am able Im goning to pull my liner and install it.

great deal on a rippin unit.

Wow, what I deal. Why can't I ever find a deal like that? I think I saw your picture on the Post Office wall. It said you were wanted for robbery!!!! :cheese:

Great deal! Don't forget to get a GOOD surge protector for the stove, and post some pics after it's installed & burning.

imacman said:
Great deal! Don't forget to get a GOOD surge protector for the stove, and post some pics after it's installed & burning.

Im assuming to protect the board. I have a surge protector on my main panel, I can still install one for the stove. The guy I bought it from had an extension cord that ran down the fireplace cleanout into the basement. Looked real conveinent but I assume I should run a circuit to the inside of the fireplace. Is that what most guys do.

Also, should I buy pellets now? Theres a place local that is ordering Hamer Hot Ones at $255 a ton, but you have to pre order them and buy a full ton. I was going to see if I can find someone to split a ton with me. I would take the entire ton but with the shoulder surgery, and no permanent place to store, I think a half would be good enough.

brihvac said:
imacman said:

Im assuming to Protect the board. INSTALL one for the stove. The guy I bought it from had an extension cord that ran down the fireplace cleanout into the basement.I should run a circuit to the inside of the fireplace..
Yes, please.. No Exstension cords.. A lot of money on the stove. (Even though you got a good deal). Spend the money on a good surge protector for the stove, as imacman stated above.

So you guys have an actual outlet mounted in your fireplace behind the stove? Does'nt it get hot behind the stove?

I have been reading a lot of post here and I am really confused on pellet selection. Stove Chow looks like the overall "good" pellet from what I have read here. Hopfully the Home Depot around me will get some in early next season so I can buy a ton.

I dont have an insert. I was just stating not to use an extension cord. If you still want to run the power cord down into the basement, I assume that would be fine. So long as you use a surge protector and no extension cord. Normal stove power cords are around 6 ft. My cord plugs in 3" away from the back corner of stove. (behind stove, cant see). It meets the 2" away that Quad states in the manual.. Not hot at all. Yes an insert may get warm er inside the concealed area, not having one I cant tell you. I was only commenting on the Extension cord and Surge protector. Good luck and Great Buy!! I'm a little jealous.

brihvac said:
Also, should I buy pellets now? Theres a place local that is ordering Hamer Hot Ones at $255 a ton......

That price is on the high side for most any pellet right now. If you can find Stove Chows right now at HD, they're a real good deal and a good pellet.

What other pellets are in your area?

imacman said:
brihvac said:
Also, should I buy pellets now? Theres a place local that is ordering Hamer Hot Ones at $255 a ton......

That price is on the high side for most any pellet right now. If you can find Stove Chows right now at HD, they're a real good deal and a good pellet.

What other pellets are in your area?

Being new I have not looked yet. There is a fireplace store near me that I know sells only one brand (dont know which, plain white bag with brown lettering). I also have a Lowes, Home Depot and Tractor Supply near by

brihvac said:
Being new I have not looked yet. There is a fireplace store near me that I know sells only one brand (dont know which, plain white bag with brown lettering). I also have a Lowes, Home Depot and Tractor Supply near by
Give all those places a call and report back w/ brands & prices.

imacman said:
brihvac said:
Give all those places a call and report back w/ brands & prices.

Hamer Hot ones $255 ton

American Fiber $235 ton

Both are fireplace stores. HD, Lowes, and Tractor Supply have none

Another independent store has American Fiber $5.30 a bag

Well, of those the one you call "American Fiber" is probably American Wood Fiber (AWF), and is a pretty good pellet. The price you listed is a little high (although I think all pellet prices are going to start rising), but if that's all you can get, then those are the ones I'd buy.

imacman said:
Well, of those the one you call "American Fiber" is probably American Wood Fiber (AWF), and is a pretty good pellet. The price you listed is a little high (although I think all pellet prices are going to start rising), but if that's all you can get, then those are the ones I'd buy.

Not gonna install the insert till spring/summer (rotator cuff) Should I buy pellets now or wait until Fall. If they will be the same price in fall, I will just wait

brihvac said:
....Should I buy pellets now or wait until Fall. If they will be the same price in fall, I will just wait

That is the hardest question to answer here....nobody knows what the prices will do year to year.....it's a crapshoot.

In general, spring "early buy" prices are the lowest, although that was not the case this past year. Best prices in 2010 came in fall and winter.

I think I'll be scouring Craig's List for people selling pellets cheap....made out good past 2 years doing that.

imacman said:
brihvac said:
....Should I buy pellets now or wait until Fall. If they will be the same price in fall, I will just wait

That is the hardest question to answer here....nobody knows what the prices will do year to year.....it's a crapshoot.

In general, spring "early buy" prices are the lowest, although that was not the case this past year. Best prices in 2010 came in fall and winter.

I think I'll be scouring Craig's List for people selling pellets cheap....made out good past 2 years doing that.
I missed out on 3 tons for $50/ton. $150 total, for Pro Pellets. Day late and a dollar short. I will definitely be on the lookout this year!

Status
Not open for further replies.