First Pellet Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ehkewley

Sep 2, 2011
Southern NH
www.google.com
The installers just finished installing my new Harman P43. Stove Keepers from Brookline, NH sold the stove and performed the installation. Overall I'm pretty happy with my experience with them. I wish they had performed a draft test before leaving, but I forgot to ask about that. I did ask various questions and had them walk me through the test cycle, startup and such. The whole process started about six months ago, and the forum has been an invaluable source of information.

Sorry I don't have any before pictures. I plan to swap out the hearth pad with a piece of slate soon. Stove Keepers extended the thimble hole so that I can adjust it a bit vertically if needed. Unfortunately the vertical chimney rise was going to cost me another $500 or so, so I opted to skip that for now. Someone else on the forum mentioned building a battery backup + relay system to allow the fan to go into a shutdown mode should the power fail. This may be a good way to workaround the lack of draft pipe?

The pets, keeping a safe distance, are currently performing a risk assessment of the stove.

items to purchase:
- surge protector
- ash vacuum
- metal ash bin
- paint brush
- chimney cleaner

Attachments

• stove1.jpg
    stove1.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 985
  • stove2.jpg
    stove2.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 891
  • stove3.jpg
    stove3.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 885
  • stove4.jpg
    stove4.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 883
  • stove5.jpg
    stove5.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 892
Hello ehkewley

Thanks for the Pics. Very nice install and a good location too!

Enjoy and good luck!!

Looks nice..I just fired up my pellet stove yesterday..I love it...should of bought one many years ago...no more firewood hauling for me!!.. I installed mine into my old brick chimney..it had a flue so I just inserted the thimble pieces into the chimney...seems to work great. make sure to do your cleaning..it will throw heat for a long time.. I'm using Maine Wood Pellets..60/40 mixed..I get them here at a good price...since the pellet plant is 2 hours away..They put out a lot of heat and very low ash..anyway have fun with your new stove!!

Yeah that looks great! I love my P43 and think you will too. Don't feel too bad about the draft test. My installer didn't do one on mine either. He said that he hasn't had a problem yet. However I agree with you that I wish one had been performed. Have Fun!

Very very nice. Really like the hardwood floors and the huge windows letting in all that natural light. "lack of draft pipe" Does that mean no outside air? If your installer didn't put one in, he didn't do you any favors. My installer didn't. A year later, I put one in for about $60. and an hour of time. The difference is huge. With that horizontal install, I don't think I woud dare to be without it. If your stove shuts down due to power failure, chances are that your house is going to fill with smoke. One time of that and you will be putting in the OAK. Good deal for OAK from Dynamite Buys LTD. Mention dyamite in the promo code for a discount. 1 800 686 5730

looks good..
i have the same stove just about the same install
check my sig..
i bought a apc 750 ups back up to shut down my stove safely...
i have a dog in the house and didn't want my smoke alarm going off when not home...he'd chit...lol
works great...had a big fire going and just killed the power, worked like it suppose to..
it sends a surge every 10 seconds or so till the stove is cleared of smoke... 60 bucks amazon...

Here is a picture of what I did for my direct vent Quad 1200i. I installed a receptical to provide power to both the UPS and the thermostat control relay(ICM491). When the power fails the 491 opens the thermostat control circuit. When the power is restored the relay time delay starts. I have it set for 10 minutes. The terminal bolck takes the 24 volt control voltage to two thermostats. Either one can call for heat. One is down stairs and one upstairs. A wireless stat would have been easier. Then the circuit goes thru the 491 and than the coil for the cube relay. I plan to use this relay to power circulating fans. Control circuit is completed but I still have to run the power side. Then it goes back to the stove completing the circuit.

1c397a36.jpg

Congrats on the stove install!!

Only thing I have an issue with on the install is with the outside "cap" (or should it be called a nozzle?)....IMO, it shouldn't be pointing straight out. Wind can very easily blow back into the stove, causing burn problems. It should have a 45 on it so it points downward.

yeah mine has a 45 pointed down with a screen on it.......

save$ said:
Very very nice. Really like the hardwood floors and the huge windows letting in all that natural light. "lack of draft pipe" Does that mean no outside air? If your installer didn't put one in, he didn't do you any favors. My installer didn't. A year later, I put one in for about $60. and an hour of time. The difference is huge. With that horizontal install, I don't think I woud dare to be without it. If your stove shuts down due to power failure, chances are that your house is going to fill with smoke. One time of that and you will be putting in the OAK. Good deal for OAK from Dynamite Buys LTD. Mention dyamite in the promo code for a discount. 1 800 686 5730

I clearly see the second flex hose inside the house so assume it has OAK. Don't see it on the outside unless it's under that sloped metal shield. That's my guess.

I like the pet risk assessment comment. Soon they will cozy up to the flame. They will be asking for their beds to be place right in front! I think they like the fire as much if not more than we do!

Looks nice!

roadking88 said:
yeah mine has a 45 pointed down with a screen on it.......

Yup same here.

Nice looking install!!

imacman said:

Only thing I have an issue with on the install is with the outside "cap" (or should it be called a nozzle?)....IMO, it shouldn't be pointing straight out. Wind can very easily blow back into the stove, causing burn problems. It should have a 45 on it so it points downward.

I wondered about that as well. Are the 45* caps easy to install and remove for cleaning?

DBCOOPER said:
Here is a picture of what I did for my direct vent Quad 1200i. I installed a receptical to provide power to both the UPS and the thermostat control relay(ICM491). When the power fails the 491 opens the thermostat control circuit. When the power is restored the relay time delay starts. I have it set for 10 minutes. The terminal bolck takes the 24 volt control voltage to two thermostats. Either one can call for heat. One is down stairs and one upstairs. A wireless stat would have been easier. Then the circuit goes thru the 491 and than the coil for the cube relay. I plan to use this relay to power circulating fans. Control circuit is completed but I still have to run the power side. Then it goes back to the stove completing the circuit.

1c397a36.jpg

Very nice setup! Thanks for the description as well.

tjnamtiw said:
save$ said:

I clearly see the second flex hose inside the house so assume it has OAK. Don't see it on the outside unless it's under that sloped metal shield. That's my guess.

Yes there is an OAK kit. I think it offered tighter tolerances to windows, and a lot of people recommended them on the forum. The intake is right below the sloped metal Shield. I should have been more specific about the draft pipe. I meant the recommended 90 degree angle and 3 ~ 5' vertical rise.

Thanks everyone for the comments and feedback!

ehkewley said:
imacman said:

I wondered about that as well. Are the 45* caps easy to install and remove for cleaning?
The one we have comes off quite easily. A quarter turn then pull off.
To clean the inside of the pipe I remove the 45* cap end then start the stove normally.
I then open the hopper. The stove stops feeding pellets but the combustion fan continues to run.
I then go outside and brush the inside of the exhaust pipe back to the 45* bend behind stove.
My arm gets hit with some ash but no big deal. Put the 45* cap back on. DONE
I usually clean/inspect the section of pipe where the temp probe is every time I do a thorough cleaning
which is about every month. Access from inside the stove.
***Remember that the temp probe is VERY delicate!!***

ehkewley said:
imacman said:

Nothing special about the 45. It goes on the horizontal pipe coming out of the house BEFORE the "nozzle"......all you need to do is to remove the nozzle, install a standard 45 degree elbow and point it toward the ground, and then re-install the nozzle onto that.

DBCOOPER said:

Hello DBCooper

Nice electrical setup! You know your wiring!!
I use a separate thermostat for the air circulator fans so when the stove shuts down, the fans stay on until all the heat is pumped upstairs. Also the fans stay off until the stove warms the air up where the thermostat is located above the stove. To make the wiring easy for the 110 v fans I used a Line Voltage Cooling Thermostat!!

It is set for 75 Deg F so when the air above the stove warms up to over 75 the fans kick on!

Something to think about. :)

Don2222 said:
DBCOOPER said:

Hello DBCooper

I use a separate thermostat for the air circulator fans so when the stove shuts down, the fans stay on until all the heat is pumped upstairs. Also the fans stay off until the stove warms the air up where the thermostat is located above the stove. To make the wiring easy for the 110 v fans I used a Line Voltage Cooling Thermostat!!

It is set for 75 Deg F so when the air above the stove warms up to over 75 the fans kick on!

Something to think about. :) /quote]

You know I thought about it but couldn't think if a way to do it with out wires showing, Maybe inside the ash pan with a remote bulb. It a continuing work in progress...

DBCOOPER said:
Don2222 said:
DBCOOPER said:

Hello DBCooper

Something to think about. :)

You know I thought about it but couldn't think if a way to do it with out wires showing, Maybe inside the ash pan with a remote bulb. It a continuing work in progress...

You do not need the Thermostat or sensor inside the ash pan, Anywhere near to the stove should be fine!

Nice house and nice stove. The only comment I would make is typically you want to terminate with a 4ft vertical and elbow or cap on top. For 2 reason: 1) on power outage the vertical lenght allows for a natural draft to occur and take the smoke out. 2) when you have windy days the pressure differential with buffeting wind will not affect the pressure switch inside the stove and cause it to 'trip' and shut down the stove.

FyreBug said:
Nice house and nice stove. The only comment I would make is typically you want to terminate with a 4ft vertical and elbow or cap on top. For 2 reason: 1) on power outage the vertical lenght allows for a natural draft to occur and take the smoke out. 2) when you have windy days the pressure differential with buffeting wind will not affect the pressure switch inside the stove and cause it to 'trip' and shut down the stove.

So is there a concern with wind causing the pressure switch inide the stove to trip if there is a 4vert. foot rise inside the house behind the stove and then use a 90 degree elbow through the wall to the termination nozzle? Or is it only a concern with a straight out the back of the stove through the wall to a horiz. nozzle?

The rule of thumb is never terminate on a horizontal. Horizontal = bad = restrictions.

In other words, always go horizontal first, then finish vertical.

that's ICC pipe, you can rotate the jet cap to point at a 45* if you like. loosen the 2 screws in the diagonal seem, spin the jet, put screws back in. no need to buy a 45.

Status
Not open for further replies.