First post... looking for a stove for our cabin

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jjlrrw

Aug 30, 2011
Michigan
So far I have been reading review, posts and ads for used stoves.

We just purchased a cabin without any heat. The Cabin is located in Michigan so it will get cold and we want to use it during the winter. Because the cabin is not well insulated we only plan to heat it when we are there.

The two options we are looking into is a wood stove or pellet stove, pellet stove has the upper hand as it will be much cleaner and we won't need to be hauling and cutting wood.

I have been watching Craigslist and they are a number of pellet stoves that come and go, also been looking at local stores for ideas.

Right now I am looking at a used 2004 Englander 25-pdv with vent piping for $600.

And a new US Stove 5500M from Tractor supply for $1,000

all feedback is welcome.

thanks,
John

First thought is that if you have a poorly insulated cabin, a pellet stove may not be your best option. They don't put out nearly as much heat as a wood stove does. Pellet stoves put out an even, lower heat than a wood stove. If you are trying to heat a reasonably large space that is poorly insulated (1200 Sq ft +), you may not get enough out of it. Our Englander 25 PDV heats our 2500 sq ft house, but it is well insulated and an open floor plan.

On the pricing side, the pricing you show on the PDV is reasonably good, as long as it is in good condition. The PDV is a pretty basic stove, that will burn good and bad pellets equally. It doesn't have alot of the fancier features such as the auto on/off, but if you are only using it while you are there, it should work well for you.

You'll have to take a look into your potential heat loss before purchasing to make sure that your stove will be able to keep up.

Good luck!

Thanks for the Ebay idea didn't think free shipping would be an option on a stove.

The cabin is only 700 sq feet the stove would be in the living area ~15x18 two bedrooms off the livings area 10x10 and the kitchen/dining and bath off the end of the living area through an open 6' entry way. It does have some insulation a 1" board between the siding and stud walls not sure why they didn't add batt insulation? The plan is to re-side and update the windows next year and will either add batts or blow in insulation then.

My biggest question with the 25-pvd is the age 2004 not sure what life to expect. I don't mind the manual start and lack of features and I could do some cleaning each trip before starting it up.

maybe there are other I should be looking at???

Thanks
John

Hello

Englanders are great stoves. They have had auto igniters for the past 3 or 4 years. So to make things alot easier to start, I prefer the Auto Igniter, so just ask if there is one when looking for a used one.

The nice thing about auto igniters is that on mild days and very cold mornings you can hook up a programmable thermostat and have it come on at 3 or 4 AM to have it nice and toasty when you awake! I do that in the spring and fall and it works great!!

Attachments

• PS3PelletStoveBackPlane&Connection 240sc.jpg
    PS3PelletStoveBackPlane&Connection 240sc.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 382
jjlrrw said:
Thanks for the Ebay idea didn't think free shipping would be an option on a stove.

The cabin is only 700 sq feet the stove would be in the living area ~15x18 two bedrooms off the livings area 10x10 and the kitchen/dining and bath off the end of the living area through an open 6' entry way. It does have some insulation a 1" board between the siding and stud walls not sure why they didn't add batt insulation? The plan is to re-side and update the windows next year and will either add batts or blow in insulation then.

My biggest question with the 25-pvd is the age 2004 not sure what life to expect. I don't mind the manual start and lack of features and I could do some cleaning each trip before starting it up.

maybe there are other I should be looking at???

Thanks
John

Nothing wrong with that stove, and the (factory) refurbished ones below both have auto start, 1 yr. warranty, and free shipping to a nearby loading dock, or to your door for $50 more. I bought mine from them...great people to deal with.

www.amfmenergy.com/55trp10--epa-certified-pellet-stove--1555101501.html

www.amfmenergy.com/55trp22--epa-certified-pellet-stove--2255222200.html

jjlrrw said:
My biggest question with the 25-pvd is the age 2004 not sure what life to expect.
Thanks
John

I just purchased a used 2001 25pdvc for a second stove(basement).

This thing is built simple and like a tank, also was well cared for.

I don't doubt that it will last years with the intermittent use it will get. YMMV

smoke show said:

I don't doubt that it will last years with the intermittent use it will get. YMMV

As we always say about used stoves, take it COMPLETELY apart before you install it and clean EVERYTHING you can get to....then do a leaf blower on it after it's re-assembled. Should be good to go.....did you see it burn before buying it?

imacman said:
smoke show said:

As we always say about used stoves, take it COMPLETELY apart before you install it and clean EVERYTHING you can get to....then do a leaf blower on it after it's re-assembled. Should be good to go.....did you see it burn before buying it?

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/78883/

Status
Not open for further replies.