First saw... Stihl 031?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Crashsector

Oct 11, 2011
Annapolis, MD
Evening,

Working on getting my first saw. Only plan on using it 5-10 times a year, nothing really crazy (no huge trunks).

Before I read this site my first impulse was to get a $300 Echo from Home Depot and call it a day. I've rethought and would like to pick up a used Stihl for about the same money. The eventual plan is to get something new by this time next year.

I assume my $300 will got a much nicer used Stihl than a new cheaper made saw. Am I correct?

Second, I have a lead on a refurbed Stihl 031 with a 20" bar for $200. Is this going to be completely unusable?

Thanks in advance for any help.

--Andy

Echo makes decent saws. So does Stihl, Husqvarna, Dolmar/Makita, Efco/Deere/CubCadet, Tanaka/Hitachi, Solo, Redmax, and some others. Pretty much everyone makes homeowner, prosumer, and pro grade saws. Grade makes more of a difference than brand.

What model were you considering? What kind of cutting will you be doing?

I think the 031 was introduced in the early 70s and discontinued in the late 80s. Lots of parts have been discontinued. I personally would buy something newer with parts available if I were only going to have one saw. Think 10 years old not 30.

$300 will get you looking at 034's, maybe even a 036. Much better saws for daily use than the 031.

Here's my opinion on Stihls:
If you looking used and want a smaller saw I would go with a 026/260 or 034/036. Both are similiar is size. The 034/036 are great saws but sometimes go at a premium price, but they are screamers. The 026/260 are also great saws and what I run. They will run a 20" bar and I have never had a problem with mine. One thing to remember with the smaller saws is letting the saw do the work. If you try and work the saw you'll be there awhile. Keep a sharp chain and keep the RPMs up, and don't try and push them into a log, let the saw do the work. Looking on e-bay it seems that 026 go for around $200-$250 and 034 go from &300;-$350.
Huskys are also up there on my list. I have never owned one but did run one for a season on a crew. I liked the lighter weight and higher RPMs more than my Stihl.

Status
Not open for further replies.