First scrounge spoiled me

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

willworkforwood

Feeling the Heat
Jan 20, 2009
Central Ma
I've been getting ready to begin scrounging in order to supplement the remaining wood on our property. Now that I'm a couple years ahead and with around 3 years or so of wood left to be taken, it seemed like a good time to begin hunting for some extra. Coincidentally, my neighbor half a mile up the road mentioned to my wife that they had "some" wood on the ground that they didn't want. I didn't have any idea what "some" was, but being so close, there was nothing to lose. 4 van trips later this is what "some" turned out to be. It was piled fairly close to their driveway, and around 20 times faster and easier than when I cut and wheelbarrow the stuff on my own property. I offered to split some and leave it as a share, but he insisted they only burn just a very small amount in their fireplace. And then as I was getting ready to leave with the last load, he mentioned that there was also another tree down. After we walked a few feet into the ferns, I see a 16" oak in prime condition. I said to him in my best Arnold accent - "I'll be back". I think it's going to be tough to top this one.

Attachments

• First_Scrounge.jpg
    First_Scrounge.jpg
    253.7 KB · Views: 285
Good score. With that oak yet to come.

Very nice! Birch and what else?

fv

fireview2788 said:
Very nice! Birch and what else?
fv
It's our typical mix of primarily oak and maple, and a small amount of ash, with very little rot for being on the ground for a while.

Good find for sure with that oak. Nice going.

Status
Not open for further replies.