First Scrounge with pics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rkofler

Burning Hunk
Nov 15, 2011
Long Island
I just couldn't resist. Saw the tree guys pull up next door to take down a tree. They didn't seem to think the wood was worth taking, I have no idea what kind of tree. Can anyone id? Definitely a big stringy. But I figured, free wood is good wood! Definitely had leaves, can't be too bad, can it? I can see how this gets addicting!!

Attachments

• IMG_0109.jpg
    IMG_0109.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 499
  • IMG_0112.jpg
    IMG_0112.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 484
  • IMG_0113.jpg
    IMG_0113.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 489
  • IMG_0115.jpg
    IMG_0115.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 497
All free wood is good wood in my book . . . just some wood is better than others . . . or at least some wood is better than others at certain times of the year.

I'm not really sure what type of wood this is.

Tulip!~

Close to poplar but too white, soft maple maybe.
What ever type it is,
I call it "Gotten wood", which is the very best kind :)

Congrats on the score, its addicting. Looks like soft maple but even so free wood is good wood!

That is Norway Maple. In density it seem to fall between 'soft' maples like Red and Silver Maple and 'hard' maple (hard maple is mostly Sugar maple, but I think Black Maple is also considered a hard maple). At least the stuff in my wood piles seems more dense than Red Maple, and mine is from a street/shaded tree like yours.

maple man said:
my gues is norway maple

Yes, sure looks like norway maple, a definitely hard maple. Good stuff.

stringy and kinda fuzzy,the split pieces really look like basswood,way too white for maple ,though tulip could get the prize

smokinjay said:

Agreed. Tuliptree. (Our state tree of course.) The interlacing ridges on the larger pieces really nails it for me.

roddy said:
stringy and kinda fuzzy,the split pieces really look like basswood,way too white for maple ,though tulip could get the prize

Basswood was my initial thought as well. Soft, burns kind of fast. Fairly strong odor when burning. KD

Thats either red or norway maple. Good burning wood either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.