first time burner help plz.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

salmonhunter

Burning Hunk
Apr 16, 2012
newbrunswick canada
Im trying to figure out how to get the most out of my insert. Im in the process of having my first fire and im not sure if I should close the damper fully after I got a good fire goin or just leave it at 3/4 closed. Heres what I did so far I put in 3 smaller splits and then some cut up pallets for kindling on top and put 1/4 super cedar under the kindling and lit it with the damper open. after I had a good fire goin like 7-8 mins I closed the damper half way and noticed the flames were still goin pretty good so I turned it down a little more then the flames went totally out. So then I opened the damper fully and threw in a couple pieces of paper and a couple more kindling on top and closed the door and waited for that to ignite after a few more mins I turned the damper down just a little bit every 5 or so mins. Now I got a decent flame at 3/4 closed and the insert fan kicked on so Im guessing I should just leave it there. It doesnt really matter now on how much heat I get outa it but im trying to figure out how to get lots of heat for when i need it in a couple months

Do you have a stove thermometer on the stove? How long has your wood been cut, split, and stacked?

I am not new to wood burning but I was new to wood stoves....and still quite new for that matter.

I found these videos interesting and informative....hope they help.

I dont have a thermometer the wood has been split and stacked in my garage for at least 4 years as it was wood that the previous owner left behind after he moved. and now i got a stove this year to help with the oil bills. thanks for the vids but there not working for me. Maybee I should get a thermometer but im not sure where I would attach it to my insert.

I dont have a thermometer the wood has been split and stacked in my garage for at least 4 years as it was wood that the previous owner left behind after he moved. and now i got a stove this year to help with the oil bills. thanks for the vids but there not working for me. Maybee I should get a thermometer but im not sure where I would attach it to my insert.
Congrats. You are in far better shape than 99.9% of all first time burners. Get yourself a stove thermometer so you can better judge what your stove is doing.

yea I wish all my wood was 4 years old I only got around 1 cord that dry the rest I cut and split in april so It wont be perfect but should get me by this year. A thermometer sounds good but im not sure where i would put it on an insert, im gonna look around and see how much those infared laser thermometers are.

Hey Salmon!

You seem to be learning how to burn with your insert. Every stove is different. Those videos that Shadow posted are very informative....they are a great example and explain things well.

For me, I never completely close my primary air. I often turn it down to 1/4 open and that seems to be my cruising speed.

To light the fire I place 2 medium pieces on bottom and then build it up. I do not use kindling since I use supercedars. 1/4 of a supercedar gets the fire going well. After lighting the supercedar, I leave my door open 1/8th of an inch (with the primary air wide open) for 5-10 minutes and then close the door. I leave the primary air open for about 5-10 minutes and then turn it down to 1/4 until reloading time. Depending on the outdoor temperature and my wood (is it moist, what kind is it, etc) I sometimes have to re-adjust.

What part of NB are you from? I spent 15 years in Fredericton.

A

Until you get used to the stove, I would leave the air control fully open for about 10 minutes and slowly choke it back. Same with a damper I guess, although I never had one so others know better. As far as wood, that 4 year old is great. I think as long as your wood is not totally green, it will hiss some, but I still find it usable even though others will disagree. A cat stove or cat insert may be problematic for moisture, but I've been ok as long as it was closer to a year cut, split, stacked. Others will disagree, but I don't find it unusable, so don't panic with what you've got. You can improve upon that next year. Keep in mind it wouldn't hurt to start getting some set aside for next season now.

Whenever getting a fire going or keeping good combustion / secondaries, a little time outside splitting into smaller pieces is preferable for me. I find they burn cleaner and ignite better than larger splits. Good luck and enjoy. You will be in love once it gets cold and you are toasty warm.

As a side note, get some practice now making your splits. Don't worry about form just yet if you're new to it. Just be sure and keep your feet far apart so there's no danger with hitting one of your legs. It may be obvious, but a little caution is always good.

Status
Not open for further replies.