First time carving!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary_602z

Minister of Fire
Oct 30, 2009
Lake Odessa,MI

Attachments

• carving.jpg
    carving.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 162
oh wow thats incredible

First time? That is about as good as it gets.

Reactions: ScotO
Incredible! That is some awesome craftsmanship, if that is a first time carving, that guy missed his calling! A buddy of mine does that kind of stuff for a living, not sure if he's ever done something so intricate before though. Thanks for the pic! here's a link to my buddy's webpage....

http://rannelsrustics.com/

Simply amazing!

Got this as an e-mail some time ago also. great work. But, don't try to cram that "first time carving" stuff along with a few pics. That's the trouble with web pics and e-mails. You can add anything to the pics/videos you want. Just stay on Hearth.com if you want the genuine stuff!!!

Got this as an e-mail some time ago also. great work. But, don't try to cram that "first time carving" stuff along with a few pics. That's the trouble with web pics and e-mails. You can add anything to the pics/videos you want. Just stay on Hearth.com if you want the genuine stuff!!!

It seems genuine to me when I read the article. He probably has enough woodworking skills that he can apply them to another facet of woodworking and he created that mount. Six months off an on is a long time to work on that and I'm sure he put a lot of thought into that project. A seasoned carver could probably make that in a few weeks, but the laminating of the antlers and the actual execution of rounding them out is a testament to his work.

I'd say he could make a few extra "bucks" selling them(that pun was not intended), but he would have to cut his time down drastically to make it worthwhile. He had several people interested in buying one under the comments section on the link. Still, a true work of art in itself.

Ya, there's some problem solving and engineering on top of the raw skill there. I don't know if this is really his first or not, but some folks can do amazing art work on the first shot- my brother seems to have that ability.

I saw some of those carvings one of the times I went to Germany- usually you're in a castle with so much amazing stuff that it's easy to miss or to assume they're actual heads

Status
Not open for further replies.