First try at a N/S burn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trktrd

Feeling the Heat
Nov 12, 2010
Arkansas
Decided to light up the stove last night to take the chill off. Out at the wood shed was a pile of short splits that keep getting shoved off to the side, so I decided to use them to try a N/S load. I couldn't believe the results. This morning, 13 hours later, still red coals in the firebow! I'm used to reloading every 4 hrs or so and maybe getting 6-7 for an overnight burn. Being that my stove is a side loader, this would be a pain in a hot stove but I was really impressed.

I had a pin oak come down in high winds last fall. I decided I would make my cuts with a N/S burn in mind. I bucked it into nine inch rounds and split it. I had enough of these chunks to fill a full size pallet about three feet high. Maybe a quarter cord. These were exposed to our brutal summer sun, high dry winds with virtually no rain in the past year.
They were measuring about 17% moisture content eight months after I cut and split this green tree (not standing dead.)
Yeah, it was a bit of a pain to buck all those little pieces. Splitting was easy, though. I just stacked two nine inch rounds on top of each other and whacked 'em with my Fiskers.
Easily sliced through both layers.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing how an alternating E/W and N/S layering affects my burns.

My shoulder wood is all shorts and uglies that will fit in N/S. This is the only time of the year I really use them, it does make a big difference.

I'm not about to cut 7 cords of splits in half, but I sure will keep the N/S thing in mind when bucking my next tree. Now I'm wishing I had a front loader.

Trktrd said:
I'm not about to cut 7 cords of splits in half, but I sure will keep the N/S thing in mind when bucking my next tree. Now I'm wishing I had a front loader.

I'm going to try cutting up only a few loads worth of my already seasoned wood and then make a decision from there. I doubt I'd do all of my wood at that length though because all those extra cuts take time and fuel plus it takes longer to move all the pieces etc.

joecool85 said:
Trktrd said:

I'm going to try cutting up only a few loads worth of my already seasoned wood and then make a decision from there. I doubt I'd do all of my wood at that length though because all those extra cuts take time and fuel plus it takes longer to move all the pieces etc.
I made a chop box. It's worth it if you ask me. All the n/s talk I've read, I'm a believer now!

N-S works nice in my stove too - I think the air flowing along the length of the log, all the way to the back of the stove, then up and out really makes a lot of sense. Unfortunately for me, my firebox is tapered height-wise from front to back so the back of the box is about 2-3" shorter than the front which then means I can't stack as high based on the rear limitation.

I suppose I could do a layer of N-S with one or two E-W on top in the front, hmmm....

Still sounds like more cutting and splitting to me but I might start loading like that when I have the correct sets of logs randomly handed to me.

I like to use a N-S layer for cold starts or "low temperature" re-loads. I won't cut wood to 9" length deliberately, but oftentimes there is a 9" or so piece left over after I cut the log to length. So I'll use those.

I usually put the N-S layer in the middle above an E-W layer and below some thinner fill pieces on top running N-S.

My typical load is (coals raked to the front) 2 splits e/w to make up the height front the back and then NS the rest of the way out. I guess I really havent thought about it since moving to the BK but it does make a difference how you load. Maybe I will try EW for the most part next time, I still might get a row of NS on one end just to pack it full but I can try!

Jason

joecool85 said:
If I wouldn't have to cut my wood to 9" I'd try it myself!

That's exactly what we do get a N/S burn in our small stove. We find the results well worth the extra effort.

I doubt I will ever buy another primary heater stove that wasn't designed as a NS burner.

Having used different stoves over the years, in addition to seeing family/friend's stoves in operation, I would not get a stove that required E-W loading. Front loading with a deep front to back firebox is the only way to go for me.

Two recent examples: 1) My buddy's Isle Royale. Great heater (really throws heat), looks nice, but top load (he doesn't use) or front load E-W with andirons; not the greatest setup for getting maximum wood loaded into the box for overnight or gone-to-work all day timeframes. He could load N-S if he had short pieces, but the firebox looks somewhat tapered like a fireplace. 2) I was in a stove shop last week, Lopi dealer, I really liked the Liberty, EXCEPT for the shallow firebox. It's a large firebox, but it's wide rather than deep. If I was in the market, I wouldn't consider it based on the depth.

There's my $.02... don't get mad. Not a bash on those nice stoves, I just don't like the configuration.

Rob From Wisconsin said:
joecool85 said:

That's exactly what we do get a N/S burn in our small stove. We find the results well worth the extra effort.

What do you find as the benefit? Is it easier to start the fire? Longer burn? Quicker but hotter?

One of mine loads n/s and one e/w. I can't tell much difference. Both get hot, consume all the fuel and drop a few ashes into the ash pan.

I found it to be a longer more controlled burn. When loading E/W the wood seems to burn down faster.

joecool85 said:
Rob From Wisconsin said:
joecool85 said:

What do you find as the benefit? Is it easier to start the fire? Longer burn? Quicker but hotter?

Yes to all the above - longer & hotter/cleaner burns. I'm sure it partly has to do with more wood in the
firebox, and also the ends of the wood are positioned conducive to combustion flow up the flue.
Coaling times are also better - don't go too quickly to ash phase.

Rob From Wisconsin said:
Yes to all the above - longer & hotter/cleaner burns. I'm sure it partly has to do with more wood in the
firebox, and also the ends of the wood are positioned conducive to combustion flow up the flue.

Wow, your stove is almost identical in size/shape to mine. What were your burn times with E/W vs N/S?

I like to layer my loads in cross. Being my old smoke dragon can fit 22" e/w and about 14" n/s I dont have to cut anything very small and criss cross just about every load.

joecool85 said:
Rob From Wisconsin said:

Wow, your stove is almost identical in size/shape to mine. What were your burn times with E/W vs N/S?

I'd say maybe an extra hour of burn time, but the key is that it is a "quality" burn - alot hotter/cleaner
than I would get with an E/W burn. Like I said before, coaling quality is also better.

Trktrd said:
Decided to light up the stove last night to take the chill off. Out at the wood shed was a pile of short splits that keep getting shoved off to the side, so I decided to use them to try a N/S load. I couldn't believe the results. This morning, 13 hours later, still red coals in the firebow! I'm used to reloading every 4 hrs or so and maybe getting 6-7 for an overnight burn. Being that my stove is a side loader, this would be a pain in a hot stove but I was really impressed.

After burning e/w in the Lopi Liberty the first year we switched to burning N/S, attached is a video of the Liberty burning N/S.

Zap

I've got a lot more small pieces of wood cut, after seeing how my little stove loads. It takes a little more time to cut & split but the stove handles it better, I think. Plus, scrounging is prone to producing a quantity of these short pieces.

chvymn99 said:
I've got a lot more small pieces of wood cut, after seeing how my little stove loads. It takes a little more time to cut & split but the stove handles it better, I think. Plus, scrounging is prone to producing a quantity of these short pieces.

What does the 13 take for a N/S load length?

Status
Not open for further replies.