Fish picture from this weekend trip

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bogydave

Minister of Fire
Dec 4, 2009
So Cent ALASKA
Got 7 sockeye & 1 king.
Pic of king salmon (Chinook)

Attachments

• King slmn.jpg
    King slmn.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 380
bogydave said:
Got 7 sockeye & 1 king.
Pic of king salmon (Chinook)

bogydave, very nice fish.

zap

Around here we rate fish in how many "samitchs" it will make......Not sure what that should be called. Awsome Fish comes to mind!

Nice Dave! We are hoping to go our in a couple weeks when the pinks start running.

Very nice BogeyDave . . . my sister recently went fishing with her husband and a friend who has a fish wheel on the Copper River. She never said how many sockeyes and kings they caught, but she did say she has put up 44 jars of sockeyes and a whole lot of frozen fillets.

Now we know why you don't go to the grocery store very often Dave. Nice...

Thanks
The dip net fishery just opened, so we caught it in a dip net.
We just missed the big run of reds (sockeye) by hours so we have to go back for another trip, they came in by the thousands on the next tide, 4 hours after we left.
But catching a 45 - 50 lb king was a treat.

Smoked/canned salmon is a winter staple for me, along with firewood. :)
If I get 20 reds to can up, the fish part is done, then just go fun fishing for silvers next month.
We use 4' dip nets.

Attachments

• Dip nets.jpg
    Dip nets.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 295
Never knew about fishing with a net. Pretty interesting. Is that a free for all, or do you need to pay to go in there and net em?

ws: canning easy, I smoke them for 1 hour in the smoker, then right into the jars (1/2 pint & pint), cook 90 minutes at 15 psi.

Franks: the nets in the pic are for a boat (shorter handles), we troll down stream & you can feel them hit the net. I run a john boat, 2 guys with nets, we all got what we needed in a few hours.
Some dip from shore with longer handled nets in an area at the mouth where boats aren't allowed. They all did well too.
Out of the net, bleed in cold water in a trash can for 10 minutes, then in coolers & iced down. So I know 3 families got their fish for the year. Between the 3 of us, we could have got 125, but just got what we needed so none will be wasted. Average 8 lbs, some up to 15lbs. We did get one more 35# king, (only allowed 1 king per year/ per person dip netting)
It can be hectic, lots of boats. So the boat driver has to pay attention all the time. When one net comes up, the boat wants to turn so you are busy steering & not getting run over.
Lots of work, especially after we get them home.
We went Tuesday, got a bunch, the run was close to peak. Just finished canning last night. So far, over 700,000 went past the commercial gill netters & us dip netters, so the escapement is in good shape & are still coming in.
Project over a million. Emergency opening for the commercial guys so they are all at it. To many fish escapement is bad, over spawn, to crowded for the fry, most die. Fish & game keep pretty close tabs on the numbers.
In one day at the peak, 230,000 went thru the weir. Takes about 2 days for the fish to get from where we can fish, up river to the weir counter.
Kenai River F&G fish weir/sonar counts for Late run sockeye:
http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/sf/FishC...ts&COUNTLOCATIONID=40&SPECIESID=420&YEAR=2011

Status
Not open for further replies.