fisher double door stove pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

waterdogs

Jan 8, 2009
Md
Does the stove pipe go inside the opening on the back of the stove or on the outside? I bought 8" pipe and doesn't seem to want to go either way. Might be a silly question but have to ask. Thanks

On my fisher stove, the proper amount of wiggling will allow an 8in pipe to slide down over the flu collar (1981 grandma bear). However, I have "improved" the crimp as is mentioned in the aformentioned link and inserted it inside of the flue collar.

I don't think being inside would be necessary for my setup for 2 reasons.

1. While it is a top exit, it makes a 90 above the stove to go out the wall. Because of this, the only things that could fall into this joint are those in this section of pipe.

2. Because of the inherent lack of effeciency in these stoves, lots of heat goes up the chimney. For me, this section of pipe may have a bit of gray matter that is very dusty and drops right out with some tapping. There is never anything closely resembling liquid in this area.

The only time I can find it truly necessary for these stove to place it inside the collar (assuming yours will fit outside as mine has with a bit of playing) would be if the pipe went straight out the top and straight on up and out of the house.

Good luck

pen

Status
Not open for further replies.