Fisher Grandpa Bear home owner insurance

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

PetroTech

Mar 10, 2022
Georgia
American home owners insurance not underwriting our insurance because the Fisher Grandpa Bear doesn't have UL inspection plate. This stove is awesome! I had cleaned it up and added a baffle(found info in this forum). It came with the house and I don't want to give it up willingly.....any recommendations?

American home owners insurance not underwriting our insurance because the Fisher Grandpa Bear doesn't have UL inspection plate. This stove is awesome! I had cleaned it up and added a baffle(found info in this forum). It came with the house and I don't want to give it up willingly.....any recommendations?
Try a different insurance company some will be ok with it. Some will require a professional inspection.

Is it installed properly with a full stainless liner?

As bholler said, if it is up to code it is technically allowed by code, but insurance companies can make their own rules. The International Building Code in your state would no longer allow a non -listed appliance to be installed in a new installation today since the International Mechanical Code requires all appliances to have a UL label attached. Some insurance companies take one step farther and require any appliance already installed to be Listed. That is their own rules and regulations they can add.

In Georgia, do you really need the output of a Grandpa Bear ??? If it drives you out, be aware the newer stoves turn down much farther and still burn clean extending your burn time with far less wood. 20 hour burn time is realistic with lower heat output, that may be more of what you actually need. This allows you to burn wood without using other heat sources when the Grandpa would drive you out.

If you want to stay with a Fisher, The newer Grandpa III with UL tag would suffice for their requirement. It still uses a 8 inch chimney and is much more inefficient as a newer EPA Certified stove. If your heating area will support a BK King model that also uses 8 inch, that would be a far better choice than the ridiculous prices being asked for a Fisher, (your area is extremely high) plus the 26% Government Rebate on a qualifying stove makes it a good time to upgrade, save tons of fuel and stay with your insurance co. if you're otherwise happy with them. Just be aware the rebate reduces your tax liability, it is not a payment. If your area is smaller and needs a newer stove that has a 6 inch outlet, the cost of a 6 inch insulated liner could become a factor. A newer 6 inch stove will not have the maximum output you are used to with the Grandpa, but the longer duration of burn and overall efficiency, plus chimney cleanliness is very much worth it.

(There, I said it. Now someone pick up bholler)

Reactions: begreen and bholler
Haha I am impressed.

is the UL referenced in the manual? if you dont agree with insurance company ruling you can always contact the division of insurance for your state. Sometimes Insurance companies are not allowed to make their own rules and each state issues rulings and memos. Getting it to pass inspection or finding the plate that came with it would help. but like others said you have to get around the IRC and state code.

Some agents push homeowners into a insurance pool coverage...be careful these policies dont cover much.

is the UL referenced in the manual? if you dont agree with insurance company ruling you can always contact the division of insurance for your state. Sometimes Insurance companies are not allowed to make their own rules and each state issues rulings and memos. Getting it to pass inspection or finding the plate that came with it would help. but like others said you have to get around the IRC and state code.

Some agents push homeowners into a insurance pool coverage...be careful these policies don‘t cover much.
This stove had no baffle, so it was not a UL Listed model. Adding one to a Listed model would be a modification, and no longer Listed.