Fisher Papa Bear Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fire Bug

Nov 23, 2005
Clarks Summit,Pa.
HI Everyone,
Does anyone out there in "Wood Stove Country", have an idea what a Fisher Papa Bear Stove is worth. It is in excellent condition. I might not be modern technology, but boy does it throw heat!

Thanks,
Fire Bug

I payed 100$ for a MamaBear about a year ago. Like new, all it needed was a few pieces of fire brick.

I expected the price range to be $250 to $500 mainly depending on the supply and demand of wood-stoves and the time of year as mentioned.
Last year in our area you had a very hard time finding any type of used wood stove and even had a rough time finding new ones at the dealers.
I just replaced the Papa Bear with a Jotul Propane Stove for convenience but I really miss the wood heat but like the convenience of the propane stove but not the bills.
I guess there's no happy medium. So I might be putting the Fisher on the market sooner or later. I think that this stove will out live me and there not many products that have that kind of longevity that are manufacture today.
Bear bones but well built.

Fire Bug

$100.-$600. Whatever your market and demand will pay.
Make sure to do yourself a favor and clean out the inside of the stove. I can believe how many stoves are being sold that look like the last fire just went out in the stove and is nasty and full of ash.

Great deal that your happy with your new heat.

Timing is everything.Last fall you might have gotten $500. Recently Home depot sold me Century WF 2700 with a blower for $288 EPA approved
Brand new Englanders sold for $325. Pretty hard to compete with those prices plus 5 year warranties, for a 25 year old non EPA approved stove.

If you can hold off till Sept and try to sell it then

elkimmeg said:
Timing is everything.Last fall you might have gotten $500. Recently Home depot sold me Century WF 2700 with a blower for $288 EPA approved
Brand new Englanders sold for $325. Pretty hard to compete with those prices plus 5 year warranties, for a 25 year old non EPA approved stove.

If you can hold off till Sept and try to sell it then

Hi Elk,
I know what your saying about the timing. It is sitting in the garage and I am not hurting for the money from the sale of it, so I can wait till next fall if I have to.
I might be puting it back in if I don't get more satisfied with my new Jotul propane gas stove.
I never thought I would miss the "Old Woody" but I do. I have a farm with 46 acres and 26 of them are wooded and I have a two acre homesite that is wooded, so the wood supply is not a problem. I also just bought a new Stihl MS310 chain saw which I haven't used yet but I am sure won't go to waste with the wooded property. I had one chimney fire,(my fault) and since than my wife is scared of it and I won't burn it when at work or while sleeping.
There is something gives you the "cozy or country feel" that the gas stove doesn't, but it is nice to wake up or come home and the thermostat has the room at a constant temperature.

Thanks,
John

Did you know BB Englander was on sale 2 weeks back at Home cheapo for $388. One cannot compare that old Fisher to the NC-30
That stove burns so clean it emits only1.6 grams an hour. That indicates tha secondary combustion is burning up the creosote particulates before they ever enter the chimney

That is part of the problems, with the old fisher like stoves ,they did not have secondary combustion and created huge creosote deposits.
You can not fairly judge that fisher to BB NC-30. Would I put it back in? probably not it has caused one incident and your wife will not be too pleased to see it there.
But you could show your wife info like this and state a case for modern clean burning. with your wood supply there is little excuse

Webmaster said:
Owners manual for this stove is in the Wiki here......download and print it - that will likely make the stove worth more to a likely buyer.

Which reminds me. I have the original manual for the old Sierra T-4600 Royale insert Craig. Doubt if there are any left burning since they were so damn big that not many of us nutcases bought one, but would you like for me to send the manual for the collection?

Edit: In fact I just checked and the manual that came with it is for the smaller T-4500. Must a been a real small number of 4600s made.

elkimmeg said:
Did you know BB Englander was on sale 2 weeks back at Home cheapo for $388. One cannot compare that old Fisher to the NC-30
That stove burns so clean it emits only1.6 grams an hour. That indicates tha secondary combustion is burning up the creosote particulates before they ever enter the chimney

That is part of the problems, with the old fisher like stoves ,they did not have secondary combustion and created huge creosote deposits.
You can not fairly judge that fisher to BB NC-30. Would I put it back in? probably not it has caused one incident and your wife will not be too pleased to see it there.
But you could show your wife info like this and state a case for modern clean burning. with your wood supply there is little excuse

HI,
I have no doubt about the new stoves being more efficent than the "oldies". Its as they say, " the new technology". First they came out with the Catylitic Converter and now the secondary burn system which basically from what I understand does the same thing as the cat.
The Fisher Stove came with the house when I bought it, so basically if owes me nothing. At the time my house was built, this stove was probably the greatest thing to come along in a while.
The only thing that scares me with the new secondary burn stoves is the slight chance that they could "runaway" and overfire. I have had a few overfires with the Fisher,(800 to 1000 degrees), and all you can do is shut the air intake knobs and close up the damper somemore. It definitely gives you a hearth check. I believe this subject was addressed in great detail on this site a while ago.
I guess nothing is perfect. I am not judging this Fisher Stove to the new stoves at all. I sure the new ones are definitely more advanced. This is not my intentions. With the propane stove instead of burning the house down, there is the chance of blowing it up.(Gee, I hope not).
I agree with you about the newer stoves and the abundant wood supply that I have. If I cut a tree down, I still got to cut it up and probably split it to burn on the brush pile, (or sell it). That's what kills me.
I had a open fireplace upstairs that I put a propane insert in which I love. I had the Fisher downstairs in the rec room.
I had propane, wood and electric for heat sources.
I wish the burn time was longer with the wood burners. Thats the only advantage to the thermostat with the gas stove. It's virtually effortless.(Besides, Mommy likes it). To a certain point so do I.
If prices of propane go up maybe there will be a new wood stove.

Thanks,
John

Status
Not open for further replies.