Fiskar Splitting Axe Size

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lydiatwin

Jan 15, 2011
Western MA
I've browsed many posts on this topic in this forum and have seen a definite preference for the x27. After hefting the x27 and x25 at the store, I was considering the x17 (23"). I'm a 5' 7" 53 y/o lady. Used a 6 lb maul 20 years ago and am just getting back to splitting. Arm strength isn't my forte and the x27 felt pretty heavy to me. Am I making a mistake by going with the shorter ax? We buy our wood already split so it's not like I have a mountain of wood to get through. Still, we scrounged quite a few rounds and bigger branches of oak after the big Halloween blizzard here.

I would think the x25 would be good for a person around 5'7". I've never held the x23, so I can't say much about it.

curber said:
lydiatwin said:
Speaking of wimpy splitting, does anyone think this thing would work? It's expensive.

http://www.woodlanddirect.com/Fireplace-Accessories/Outdoor-Firewood-Racks/The-Smart-Splitter

I think this is a better option. No set up time. Pat
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200333227_200333227
Also more than $100 less money. Go with the X17. Get the $33 Wel-Bilt for when you get the axe stuck. Better than a sledge and wedge. I've had an axe stuck with two wedges pounded in to the hilt and not had the wood relent. With the Wel-Bilt, you can keep driving it deeper until the wood relents.

Most of my life I split wood with a 3 1/2 lb axe head, and I'm 6'2, 200lbs. Now that I have a hydraulic splitter, my 2 1/2 lb axe is my first go to axe for hand splitting.

I have both and although I prefer the longer Fiskars, I find both work very well. Choose which one you are most comfortable handling and go for it. You won't be sorry!

I think the length of the x25 would be good for your height, especially if you're splitting on a stump. If you want something lighter, Fiskars used to make a 2.5lb axe called a "Pro Splitting Axe". I have the Gerber version of this axe and it's a great splitter. These might be a little hard to find since they're out of production but it's worth searching around. I wish I had bought two or three. If you're interested in searching for one, it's Fiskars model #7859 28inch Pro Splitting Axe.
IMG_1778.jpg

Nice pic trailmaker.

I like the Wel-Bilt suggestion too. Pretty much settled on that plus the x25. Thanks for the help everyone.

For the record, I ended up getting the x27. I found out both the x25 and the x27 have the same 4.5 lb head, it's just the handle's longer. I think I can get more leverage with the longer handle. Thanks for the suggestions.

I am 6' tall and using a round to split on. I really like the x25. Haven't tried the x27 but my buddy is getting one for xmas and I'll try his. Mine has handled just about everything except the gnarliest stuff.

Just posted about the X27 on another thread in the forums. I'm a retired 66 year old and find the X27 to be a fine splitting axe. I'm 5' 11" and found the 36" length very easy to get acustomed to. At your height, you might want the shorter X25. Both are excellent! You will also find that the handle design is comfortable and absorbs the shock when you hit a stubborn round that does not split on the first strike.

Lydiatwin - Now that you have had your x27 for a while, how do you like it? I'm trying to decide between the x25 and the x27 right now. I'm only 5'4" so I'm thinking the shorter axe would be better. However, I haven't done any splitting before and I am a little nervous about some of the comments people have made about the x25 being a danger to one's shins...

Any tips on the correct way to use one of these wood splitters would also be much appreciated. Correct stance? Swing? How to tackle large rounds? Thanks in advance!

ChillyNoMore said:
Lydiatwin - Now that you have had your x27 for a while, how do you like it? I'm trying to decide between the x25 and the x27 right now. I'm only 5'4" so I'm thinking the shorter axe would be better. However, I haven't done any splitting before and I am a little nervous about some of the comments people have made about the x25 being a danger to one's shins...

Any tips on the correct way to use one of these wood splitters would also be much appreciated. Correct stance? Swing? How to tackle large rounds? Thanks in advance!

I like to set a tire on top of a big stump when using the short Fiskars. This keeps your cutting edge out of the dirt and reduces the chances of a shin strike. Keep your feet spread apart at least shoulder width; the idea is to keep the feet and shins out of the "line of fire".

Status
Not open for further replies.