Fiskars for cutting roots

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gzecc

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2008
NNJ
Used my fiskars for cutting some arm size roots. Worked very well.

Ja, invariably I often manage to find a rock or two whacking roots.

I use a old 5lb mattock/grub axe for chopping out roots,other unwanted saplings, shrubs etc.That's what it was made for.Saves the edge on my better axes.

Thistle said:
I use a old 5lb mattock/grub axe...
Ja, been keeping an eye out for one. All I've seen so far are clay pics.

I never thought of using a Sawzall. I don't have a cordless one so would have to string out a cord.

LLigetfa said:
Thistle said:
I use a old 5lb mattock/grub axe...
Ja, been keeping an eye out for one. All I've seen so far are clay pics.

Farm/estate sales, (where I grabbed mine some 20+ yrs ago),flea markets,even might get lucky at a garage/yard sale where they have lawn/garden hand tools.

Best design I seen is the standard 2 blade one at opposite ends - with one vertical & one horizontal.A 5 lb clay pick with 1" chisel & point at opposite is pretty handy around the homestead too.

Thistle said:
A 5 lb clay pick with 1" chisel & point at opposite is pretty handy around the homestead too.
Ja, I have one but my aim is poor trying to use it to chop roots. Most often I miss the root and bury the sucker to the hilt in the clay.

Not much for estate/yard sales around here in SticksVille. My poor axes are so abused by hitting rocks that the toe of the head is much shorter and rounded than the beard. Had to take out the angle grinder a few times to grind out the worst of the nicks.

Status
Not open for further replies.