Fiskar's

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Savage

Minister of Fire
Feb 14, 2007
Michigan
Okay fellas. I've caught flak over the Fiskar's and many pointed out that I had never used one. That has all changed as of this morning. I did use one but not for long because my back just could not take it. However, I was really sadly disappointed with it. I could hardly believe after reading all the positive comments that this thing did not perform all that good. I was not the only one to swing it and the other fellow did not have any better luck than I did. If I split by hand, it will be with the splitting maul.

btw, it was the longer handled one too.

First question is...What type of round were you trying to bust? I find that larger diameter rounds are usually better suited with the maul. Once I quarter rounds, I then switch to the Fiskars because of its weight.

Stax said:
First question is...What type of round were you trying to bust? I find that larger diameter rounds are usually better suited with the maul. Once I quarter rounds, I then switch to the Fiskars because of its weight.

I agree with your comment and will add it doesn't like stuff that is not straight grained or with knots either although there is someone on here that i have seen a video of him breaking up a pretty large round.

I wanted to buy one after all the positive stuff i read here but i was wondering how good this fany non-bustable handle axe can do vs my normal axe. It just sticks in anything say 10"s or bigger esp if its not red aok. And those fiskers are like $40!!

Rory, I watched the video as well. Is Oak easier to split after it has been sitting around a bit? Those rounds didn't appear to be fresh. Clemson...the non-bustable handle is no BS! I generate a lot of muster with my swing and have over swung (is that a word?) many of times and still can believe that the thing is still in one piece. Quality tool, just got to know what to use it with.

Stax said:

The one I tackled was a white ash, 16" in length and probably 18" diameter. Other splits were with white ash, some with small knots and some with no knots. Not much difference. Also those were of various sizes. Moving on to cherry, a 16" length and about 8" diameter. Oak (pin) the same. The smallest we tried was probably 6" diameter and the largest was the first one listed.

Please understand I am not trying to put down the tool but just stating my observation. Like clemsonfor, I too question the price for what you get because one can go to any hardware store to get a simple splitting maul for much, much less and it will work much better. I also do not understand why folks consider this tool superior when we now see that they don't work as well on larger rounds and something with knots. A superior tool it seems would work well with all rounds you need split.

Again, I go back many, many moons and consider all the wood I have split in my lifetime and I just don't yet see why the Fiskars is praised so highly. Perhaps I expected too much and when it did not live up to those expectations it was a big letdown.

Stax said:
Rory, I watched the video as well. Is Oak easier to split after it has been sitting around a bit? Those rounds didn't appear to be fresh. Clemson...the non-bustable handle is no BS! I generate a lot of muster with my swing and have over swung (is that a word?) many of times and still can believe that the thing is still in one piece. Quality tool, just got to know what to use it with.

Stax, in my experience, most wood splits easiest right after being cut and that does include oak. Of the oaks, I certainly do not have experience splitting every type of oak there is (somewhere around 50 different types) but here we have red, pin, white, and burr.

Agreed. I had to bust out the maul several times on this Silver Maple load. Typically it was with the larger rounds (near 2 ft.) with knots.

Attachments

• Silver Maple Scrounge.jpg
    Silver Maple Scrounge.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 371
Backwoods Savage said:
Stax said:

The one I tackled was a white ash, 16" in length and probably 18" diameter. Other splits were with white ash, some with small knots and some with no knots. Not much difference. Also those were of various sizes. Moving on to cherry, a 16" length and about 8" diameter. Oak (pin) the same. The smallest we tried was probably 6" diameter and the largest was the first one listed.

Please understand I am not trying to put down the tool but just stating my observation. Like clemsonfor, I too question the price for what you get because one can go to any hardware store to get a simple splitting maul for much, much less and it will work much better. I also do not understand why folks consider this tool superior when we now see that they don't work as well on larger rounds and something with knots. A superior tool it seems would work well with all rounds you need split.

Again, I go back many, many moons and consider all the wood I have split in my lifetime and I just don't yet see why the Fiskars is praised so highly. Perhaps I expected too much and when it did not live up to those expectations it was a big letdown.

I need to get my 6lb maul rehandled and get the epoxy out of the head. My 8lber is about to come off and is really wearing me out.

My biggest problem i see for the fiskers if i were to get one is that i generally dont have perfect trees. Yea i may have half the rounds that are straight grained adn no knots but i have a good bit of elm right now to split and my oaks always seem to be knotty or white oak with less than desirable grain.

Stax said:

I am specifically talking about someone who is on the forum. He has an older model. You have to know what to use it with and it has to be straight grained at the least.

Yes, I know what video u are talking about. I'm talking about the same one.

I just received my x27 yesterday after reading all of th reviews....I must say is splits quite nice! I used it and my maul to split some pretty big rounds of frshly cut red maple. We did a test me and another fellow and he agreed. I must say the x27 was better than my Home Depot maul. We were both swinging the hell out of both but the x27 won. I could see if I cold swing the maul as fast but we could not.
The maul bounced and bounced and did nothing where as the x27 bounced but eventually cracked the round.

I was skeptical but now I am not so much.....

Backwoods Savage, do you recall which Fiskars you used?

Super Splitting Axe (original head design, 4.25 lb, 28")
X25 Splitting Axe (updated head design, 4.09 lb, 28")
X27 Splitting Axe (updated head design, 4.09 lb, 36")
Pro Splitting Axe (2.25 lb head, 28")
Other?

PLAYS WITH FIRE said:
I just received my x27 yesterday after reading all of th reviews....I must say is splits quite nice! I used it and my maul to split some pretty big rounds of frshly cut red maple. We did a test me and another fellow and he agreed. I must say the x27 was better than my Home Depot maul. We were both swinging the hell out of both but the x27 won. I could see if I cold swing the maul as fast but we could not.
The maul bounced and bounced and did nothing where as the x27 bounced but eventually cracked the round.

I was skeptical but now I am not so much.....

I see swinging an ax faster than a maul that weighs half as much, but what im curious about is a NORMAL axe. I have a fibrglass handle axe thats say 20-30 yr old head. Is the fiskars going to be that much better than this axe?

Well Dennis I do agree it was a disappointment today ! But to be honest it goes through most of my dry stuff very well with the exception of the super knotty stuff. That is also the first time I tried a round that big too lol. Your a hard taskmaster! :lol: I can say that the fiskars X27 is much better than the old ax I was using but then my old ax was a piece of shipoopy too.

Pete

clemsonfor said:
I see swinging an ax faster than a maul that weighs half as much, but what im curious about is a NORMAL axe. I have a fibrglass handle axe thats say 20-30 yr old head. Is the fiskars going to be that much better than this axe?

I would say yes,

The Fiskars composite handle is not the same as the old fiberglass handles--it's hollow and very light. The head is heavy and is shaped differently than any chopping axe. It's kinda like a swinging a lightweight handle with a splitting wedge at the end.

See pictures here: https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/80274/

I really like the X27, but there are still some times that my 8 lb. maul is better suited for the task

I couldn't say that as I am truely inexerienced with most firewood tools. For insatnce, my ms290 is the best saw in the world. I say that because I came from a 40cc poulan pro. I have used others, Jonsered and Stihl but not as much as I used this. However, my uncles 2250 is pretty fast and the way he maintains things which is not, seems to be pretty bullet proof.

I can't speak for all axes but I do like it more than the maul in this situation. I will always bring both because I may find out that it works great in some situations where that maul does not, and vice versa.

The rounds will tremble and shake when they see the x27 and split there pants! I thank you..

I see swinging an ax faster than a maul that weighs half as much, but what im curious about is a NORMAL axe. I have a fibrglass handle axe thats say 20-30 yr old head. Is the fiskars going to be that much better than this axe?[/quote]

Backwoods Savage said:
Okay fellas. I've caught flak over the Fiskar's and many pointed out that I had never used one. That has all changed as of this morning. I did use one but not for long because my back just could not take it. However, I was really sadly disappointed with it. I could hardly believe after reading all the positive comments that this thing did not perform all that good. I was not the only one to swing it and the other fellow did not have any better luck than I did. If I split by hand, it will be with the splitting maul.

Whoa! Whoa! Whoa! Are you sure about that? It couldn't possibly be the Fiskar's fault, must be your technique. Were you holding your mouth the right way, bending your knees, and doing a roundhouse swing? Has to be operator error. HAHA! ;-) Or at least that's what I've heard. Me personally, I just swing a maul and the wood splits.......but I have never tried a Fiskars yet.

PLAYS WITH FIRE said:
I couldn't say that as I am truely inexerienced with most firewood tools. For insatnce, my ms290 is the best saw in the world. I say that because I came from a 40cc poulan pro. I have used others, Jonsered and Stihl but not as much as I used this. However, my uncles 2250 is pretty fast and the way he maintains things which is not, seems to be pretty bullet proof.

I can't speak for all axes but I do like it more than the maul in this situation. I will always bring both because I may find out that it works great in some situations where that maul does not, and vice versa.

The rounds will tremble and shake when they see the x27 and split there pants! I thank you..

[/quote]

Yes - it's the shape of the head on the Fiskars which will make the difference - the flared wedge head applies a strong outward force on the round, much more than a normal axe head.

I simply can't imagine having the smallest difficulty splitting 99% of the ash rounds I've ever bucked with a Fiskars - mind blowing.

Do you think that maybe, just maybe, Dennis was still using the milk crate while splitting with the Fiskars???

Naw, I'll bet he gave it a good run for its money and what he said is word.

To me there is no one perfect maul, axe or what have you. It just depends on what your splitting as to what tool to choose. I have a 12# mega maul, a 8# go devil which is what I call it and I also too have the Fiskars X27.

I most of the time have all 3 of them leaned up near where I'm working at. If it's something pretty mean that needs a lot of ump behind it I'll pick up the mega maul, which will wear you down pretty fast but many times effective. If it's something a bit on the rough side that needs more weight then the Fiskars, then the 8# go devil is my weapon of choice. If it's some good straight stuff thats breaking off like butter, then by all means use the Fiskars because light is good and fast if it's working. Just my .02 ;-)

I've always wanted to try one of those Chopper 1 axe's. I'm sure they've got there place in the world as well. Cranking up a good healthy splitter with a nice quiet running Honda motor on it is pretty inviting after you make it past 50 years too. :cheese:

Backwoods Savage said:

Well, there ya go. . .

Bigg_Redd said:
Backwoods Savage said:

Well, there ya go. . .

Doh! Thanks, Bigg_Redd.

Status
Not open for further replies.