Fixing a chandelier

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
... with zip ties.
Inspiring. When the AC kicked on it would rock to and fro
581028_3483592170358_578863802_n.jpg
320416_3483590490316_645693531_n.jpg

Nice light...Why did it rock when the air came on??

Interesting looking ceiling, is that plaster??

Also, you should have straightened that shade while you were up there!lol

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who travels with zip ties.

Reactions: Dune
Mine was like that for over a year till I finally got motivated and cut the chain. Where it hung a table should be, but it's my office so it was way too low.

Nice light...Why did it rock when the air came on??

Interesting looking ceiling, is that plaster??

Also, you should have straightened that shade while you were up there!lol

The ceiling looks like it is one of the old tin ones.

The medallion looks like it is plaster.

Ah....zip ties, duct tape's younger cousin!

I think I did the same 'fix' in the last house I rented....but I clipped the excess.

Seems like a better solution would be to diffuse the blast of air from the AC and allow the chandelier to hang out in all its glory.

Seems like a better solution would be to diffuse the blast of air from the AC and allow the chandelier to hang out in all its glory.

That's not the point. The chandelier rocks as it is with the ties. I think those are the only thing holding it up. In fact- you can see an open link that may be hooked, but when the ties go, that thing is springing open

it was obviously done to engineered specs, there is triple redundency in the three zip ties used
I would estimate a safety factor of six
50 lb chandelier, three black 100 lb zip ties 300lb failure point

Reactions: Adios Pantalones
Agreed. It's a quick and dirty fix, but better than nothing. My usual course of action is to go for fixing the problem(s) if possilbe, not the symptom.

Looks like a quick fix done by a manager trying to quell nervous guests. I can hear them now, "Is that thing safe?"

In Red/Green territory this would have been covered up by a nice decorative wrap of duct tape. :)

Looks like a quick fix done by a manager trying to quell nervous guests. I can hear them now, "Is that thing safe?"

In Red/Green territory this would have been covered up by a nice decorative wrap of duct tape. :)

Honestly- it's not the first- or 5th time I've stayed at this establishment, and I suspect that this solution is permanent- until it fails and they need more zip ties.

Honestly- it's not the first- or 5th time I've stayed at this establishment, and I suspect that this solution is permanent- until it fails and they need more zip ties.

is this a pay by the hour motel by chance.................................

Status
Not open for further replies.