flame goes up and down?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
is it normal that the flame on any setting with good air flow will go up and down or that means that i have to much air ?
does the flame height has to be constant?

so how's your flame burning?

thanks for any info

The flame in a typical pellet stove will increase and decrease somewhat while burning.....the auger that feeds it will not always feed the exact same amount of pellets on each "cycle".

BTW, it would help other members reading your posts if you included the year, make, & model of stove you have in your signature line. These can be added by going to the control panel at the top of the page.....thanks.

ok i did add the info of my stove

about the flame it goes up maybe 10 inch high or more depend on the setting of the feed and then goes down about 2 inch from the botton of the pot
i should be a little more clear on the first post but is that the way it should burned?

10" down to 2" DOES seem a bit extreme. You might try closing the air damper (if the stove has one) somewhat....it might be burning the pellets too fast.

yes it does have one and it looks like those stove draft to much if i do close it it will be almost closed and yes i found that it burned to much pellets
but i did try that and after maybe 5 to 6 hours of buring the pot is almost full but people are saying that the output heat is the same

thanks for the tip

Try just closing the damper 1/2 of the way closed, from where it is now.

Sometimes they don't need to be open much. Some stoves have you insert a plain wood pencil in the damper and close it until it touches the pencil....that leaves only about 1/4" opening.

i think i had another issue, in the middle of last year i'd open the exhaust chamber or the combustion motor if that's the right word to clean it but did not change the gasket. i think the motor was pulling air from that plate and that was causing me a negative pressure or positive pressure anyway, that's why i had a hard time setting the damper air. i did put the new gasket and i think now there's a good exhaust for what i see cause the flame look very different from what it was.

i did notice since last year there was a white ash on the baffle and the window was always white not black but white but maybe that's not because of the exhaust but ill see i did a good cleaning to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.