Flame It!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
We have been burning Quaking Aspen this shoulder season, this stuff rocks for this time of year. Attached are some pictures, in the last two pics the air on the Liberty is closed down.

zap

Attachments

• 100_4166.jpg
    100_4166.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 454
  • 100_4168.jpg
    100_4168.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 461
  • 100_4169.jpg
    100_4169.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 455
  • 100_4170.jpg
    100_4170.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 456
  • 100_4171.jpg
    100_4171.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 465
I have still not fired yet.

tfdchief said:
smokinjay said:
Really Jay, I am going right now. We are 44 and droping into the 30's tonight.

Same here. I am holding off as long as I can this year. The way are gas bills are I can buy it very cheap as long as I dont use much..lol (The more you buy the more it cost to deliver it) Thats a crock! What my plan is to use the gas in the shoulder season. I have a wood furnace and hard to manage until you see 20's. Oh this is a record for me on firing.Normal is 10-12 cords a year.

smokinjay said:
tfdchief said:
smokinjay said:

Same here. I am holding off as long as I can this year. The way are gas bills are I can buy it very cheap as long as I dont use much..lol (The more you buy the more it cost to deliver it) Thats a crock! What my plan is to use the gas in the shoulder season. I have a wood furnace and hard to manage until you see 20's. Oh this is a record for me on firing.Normal is 10-12 cords a year.
Well, I don't blame you then. I have a small stove in the kitchen and an insert in the fireplace...the main heater. So I am just burning the small one and it works really well.

tfdchief said:
Wow Zap, that is a raging inferno. Not much coming out of your chimney but vaporized everything. ;-P

Stove top temp was just over 600 with the stack temp just under 500. When I backed it off the stack temp dropped to 400, the stove top jumped to 650 then back down to 600.

zap

zapny said:
tfdchief said:
Wow Zap, that is a raging inferno. Not much coming out of your chimney but vaporized everything. ;-P

Stove top temp was just over 600 with the stack temp just under 500. When I backed it off the stack temp dropped to 400, the stove top jumped to 650 then back down to 600.

zap

Thats impressive for aspen. Bet there is a alot of people that will have trouble getting that with hickory. :cheese:

tfdchief said:
smokinjay said:
tfdchief said:
smokinjay said:

Well, I don't blame you then. I have a small stove in the kitchen and an insert in the fireplace...the main heater. So I am just burning the small one and it works really well.

Its a gas fireplace though! ;-) 50.00 bucks would be a large bill for me.

zapny said:
tfdchief said:

zap
Sounds like a really good burn. Are those stack temps internal, probe temps or surface on a single wall? I am still learning my new kitchen (EPA) stove. Me and the old buck have burned so long together, we just kinda feel each other :) But I am still tryin to get that feel for the new one.

tfdchief said:
zapny said:
tfdchief said:

zap
Sounds like a really good burn. Are those stack temps internal, probe temps or surface on a single wall? I am still learning my new kitchen (EPA) stove. Me and the old buck have burned so long together, we just kinda feel each other :) But I am still tryin to get that feel for the new one.

The temps for the stack are from single wall pipe with the externa (surface)l magnetic thermometer. I split the aspen real big, had a nice eight hour burn from it the other night.

We have a couple of good size aspen down, if I get time I'm getting some for next year.

zap

zapny said:
tfdchief said:
zapny said:
tfdchief said:

zap

The temps for the stack are from single wall pipe with the externa (surface)l magnetic thermometer. I split the aspen real big, had a nice eight hour burn from it the other night.

We have a couple of good size aspen down, if I get time I'm getting some for next year.

zap
Thanks, that is what I thought, but wanted to make sure. That is some good stuff for sure.

zapny said:
tfdchief said:
zapny said:
tfdchief said:

zap

zap

Outstanding! Guess the aspen haters dont know how to season it right! Thats hickory numbers. Wonder if colder temps out side would change things?

The drop in temps has helped for sure. Two cord for next year would be nice.

Even if I get it bucked up this winter then split and stacked in the spring it should be dry.

zap

Nice pics zap....
My temps were similiar to yours last night....I don't know what the he'll I am burning...just that it's good and dry...
I gotta get better on my wood id skills....

:smirk:

GAMMA RAY said:
Nice pics zap....
My temps were similiar to yours last night....I don't know what the he'll I am burning...just that it's good and dry...

If it's good and dry thats all that matters, FLAME IT!

zap

GAMMA RAY said:
Nice pics zap....

Gamma, is this going to hit your area? :wow:

zap

Attachments

• ski_ne_600x405.jpg
    ski_ne_600x405.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 206
Yep....according to your map zap....6-10....
Mr Gamma was gonna do some leaf cleanup....dammit :-S

:snake:
GAMMA RAY said:

Update; Mr. Gamma has plenty of time! :snake:

zap

Attachments

• SNOW.jpg
    SNOW.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 175
zapny said:
We have been burning Quaking Aspen this shoulder season, this stuff rocks for this time of year. Attached are some pictures, in the last two pics the air on the Liberty is closed down. zap

Zap, if that's a gentle shoulder fire, I look forward to some pictures of some really hot ones.......... ;-)

zapny said:
GAMMA RAY said:

zap

Holy shnikeys!! That's the first time I think I have ever seen those snow amounts this time of year on the east coast when we arent scheduled for any here in "The Belt" !! Looks like those hurricane tracks from this summer. If that pattern continues you guys could be in for a long winter.

uncontrolabLEE said:
zapny said:
GAMMA RAY said:

zap

Holy shnikeys!! That's the first time I think I have ever seen those snow amounts this time of year on the east coast when we arent scheduled for any here in "The Belt" !! Looks like those hurricane tracks from this summer. If that pattern continues you guys could be in for a long winter.

Its clear my way...Point that truck west!

uncontrolabLEE said:

yeah, if this is any indication of the kind of winter we will have this year...Me thinks we are ef'd.... :grrr:

GAMMA RAY said:
uncontrolabLEE said:

yeah, if this is any indication of the kind of winter we will have this year...Me thinks we are F'ed.... :grrr:

Your gonna be sooooo glad you got the 30. You folks are supposed to get lotssssss this winter again. We aren't supposed to get ours until January and February.

Hmm Zap, maybe I'll go get that Aspen that was offered to me for next years shoulder wood.

my zip 07848 and weather.com is calling for 10-15 inches.

I'm calling this nothing more than a dusting. Weather forecasters are the only profession I know that can be wrong most of the time and still have a job.

I'm saying no way in Heck we are getting that kind of snow. It was 60 today and beautiful.

Status
Not open for further replies.