Flame question on Harman xxv

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lightyear

Dec 24, 2010
Maryland
Me again, sorry...

My flame on my unit is really large, It goes up above teh window view-is that normal, or do I have it too high? I have the Fresh air kit hooked up, and piping straight out the wall (actually sitting cady corner with a 45 degree to go out one side). I changed teh feed rate from a 4 to a 2-no change, this is my first run on my new stove, and I love the warmth, just want to make sure I am doing it right.

Put the feed rate back around 3 or 4 and don't worry about it. If you have the temp cranked up I would think the flame will be pretty high. Doesn't sound unusual.

It's a good idea to put your stove make and model in your 'signature'... helps with troubleshooting...

Will do, I did adjust the setting to a 3 and that helped some, but I still have a crazy big flame (not really complaining, just making sure it is cool).

How long does it take to turn a unit off? I tgurned the dial to off, and it is still running...but it did take forever to turn on too.

lightyear- Try this:
Put your feed rate on 4
use Room Temp mode with the setting halfway between H and L
the ignitor switch in Auto position
temp dial at 70 or whatever is comfortable

Keep the room sensor up off the floor and not in front of the stove where hot air blows
or near a drafty window.

The flame should now do what is required to keep the room at a constant temp automatically.
If it's cold and there is more demand for heat, you will see the flame get bigger and the blower run faster.
If it's a warmish sunny day, the flame will get much smaller. The stove may even shut down.

When you turn the stove off, it does take a while to completely shut down... maybe 45 minutes.

Let us know how the above settings work.

The Harman units don't just shut-off.
They are designed to"ramp down" slowly,
& don't actually stop feeding pellets until the
exhaust temperature gets to a certain threshold.
This "ramping down" could take up to an hour or more...
Start-ups shouldn't take more than 6 - 8 minutes.

I run in stove mode, with the temp dial on 4 or less i have the feed rate at 3, with temp dial higher then 4 the feed rate goes to 2........this seems to keep a more consistent, active flame

Status
Not open for further replies.