Flashing for different companies interchangeable?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ericj

Oct 9, 2010
Iowa
Assuming the hole for the flashing is the same size, could I use ICC flashing with Selkirk chimney? Second question I'm running into is what is the difference between vented and unvented flashing? Is this important or a matter of preference? Thank you.

ericj said:
Assuming the hole for the flashing is the same size, could I use ICC flashing with Selkirk chimney?

Yes

Second question I'm running into is what is the difference between vented and unvented flashing? Is this important or a matter of preference?

If installed correctly, unvented flashing won't leak. Vented flashing will. When we used to install a flashing with the vents at the top of the
cone, we ALWAYS blocked them off. Now we don't even use the vented ones...

Thank you.

You're welcome...HTH

Technically the flashing is tested as part of a system with the flue, especially in the case with the vented flashings. That component though should really cause no harm to use a different brand, unless the pipe has special requirements and specialized flashings.

Vented vs Non-vented:
Yes the old vented flashing will leak, they have slots in them all around. The new style vented flashing from duravent use groves that center the pipe in an over-sized hole, which allows it to be vented if you raise the storm collar off the flashing slightly. The vented flashings are designed to prevent hot air from around the flue from getting trapped below the flashing and eventually starting the roof on fire. Certain chimney systems may specifically require the vented flashings in some or all installations. Current Duravent does not even offer non-vented flashings for their Class A flues.

Sorry I default to Duravent but that's the product I use and know.

Glad I popped in and read this thead. I picked up flashing and storm collar yesterday for my install and was getteng ready to do it today. However, the flashing they gave me is the vented kind. Last thing I need is a leak. Took long enough to talk the Mrs. into letting me cut a hole in the roof. This install can't be less than perfect.

Thanks everyone. After looking closely at the Supervent flashing I know now that it's the vented kind. Since I don't want to run even the small chance of a roof fire, or my insurance not covering the claim, I'm going to stick with the vented flashing. In fact, I'll probably end up doing the offset with elbows and using the Supervent flashing, just keep from going out on a limb.

If you have one of the vented flashing with the vertical slots in it at the top all the way around, my suggestion would be to make sure you have a good sized storm collar and make sure it has a decent pitch on it to try and keep a driving rain out of the vent slots.

Status
Not open for further replies.